Chapter 1

DISCLAIMER:  I do not own anything D.C.

"Dad!" I scream while looking at my dad, tears in my eye.

"Baby, you need to go, now," my dad told me while pushing me in the direction he wanted me to run in. I started running on my wobbly legs. I looked back at my bloodied dad one last time before he fell, blood seeping from his chest.

I made it outside and ran across the dark street. Once I made it to the other side an explosion went off, deafening me for a few minutes. I curled up in a ball and began to cry. I was crying for a long time before a man in a black outfit came up to me and asked me where I lived. After reciting the address my parents had drilled into me he picked me up and carried me to a car. He sped off to my house and asked me what happened. After telling him my daddy died in the explosion we reached my house. He walked me to my door and prepared himself to tell my momma the news of my dad's passing.

I jerked up from bed, drenched in sweat. I looked at my clock and jumped up to take a shower. Today was my first day at Gotham Academy. After showering and putting on a full face of makeup I french braided my hair to the side and threw on my new uniform. I grabbed my backpack and rushed outside to see Daniel pulling up to the curb. I let myself in and he drove off towards the school. He parked and we hopped outside. He walked up to me and I threw my arm on his shoulder and we walked to the front steps and through the door.

"Excuse me," I called out to a blue eyed guy while Daniel shrugged my arm off of him and hissed Emily, causing me to glare at him.

"Yes?" the boy asked.

"Would you tell us where the front office is?" Daniel stepped up and asked him.

The guy looked at me for a moment before pointing to the hallway to our right, "Down there, it should be on the left." Then he walked off, not giving us a chance to thank him. I stared after him until Daniel drug me along telling me we needed to hurry up before we were late to class.

We got our schedules and locker information, along with a map of the school. Luckily, we had most of our classes together, including lunch. We headed off to first block together after stopping at our lockers. After introducing ourselves we were asked to sit in the back behind this tall blonde girl named Kelli. Since I was the one directly behind Kelli I decided to introduce myself and Daniel.

"Hi," I smiled at her, "I'm Emily, and this is Daniel." I pointed at him, he smiled and waved at her. She smiled shyly in return, but soon glanced back at the teacher to wait for the oncoming lecture.

After first block of course came second block, and I did not have second block with Daniel. He walked me to class of course, my arm propped comfortably on his shoulder. Once we got to my class he shrugged it off and walked away, but not before turning to me and sticking his tongue out and waggling his eyebrows. "Geek!" I called out after him. I turned back to walk into class, but that same blue-eyed kid was staring at me in amusement. I gave him my best done face before walking into the classroom.

I went up to talk to the teacher about where I would sit, and after introducing myself to the class she told me to sit by the blue-eyed guy. "Is your name really Dick?" I asked him after seating myself.

"Yes," he stated, "My parents looked at me and Dick came to mind," he added, sarcasm dripping with every word. I continued to just glare at him. "It's just a nickname for Richard," he finally added quietly.

Second block ended and Daniel met me outside of my class. "Hey Danny," I cooed at him, "Long time no see," I laughed. He smiled at me before we walked off to the cafeteria. We went through the line, well I did, Danny just walked with me because he brought his own lunch. After paying for the school lunch we looked around for a seat until Kelli saw us and waved us over. We sat next to her on the long table. "Hey Kelli," I smiled at her. I looked at Daniel, who was sitting directly across from her, and when he realized I caught him staring at Kelli he started blushing profusely. "Awe," I babied him and started to pinch his cheeks, making them even redder. I looked over to Kelli who was blushing as well.