Chapter 2

"Hey," I answered, looking in the mirror to inspect the damage.

"Are you coming?" He asked. I walked downstairs to see how bad it is, and to estimate whether I could finish it before school started.

"Actually," I coughed, "I'm sick, I can't go today."

"I doubt that. I'm coming in to get you."

"No!" I shouted, but my door was already open.

"This is why you can't come to school today?" he asked me, I nodded. "Well we better hurry if we want to catch second block. Now go get dressed while I start."

"Thank you!" I shouted while hugging him and rushing off to get dressed. I quickly slipped on my uniform, but left my hair down because I needed to spend more time on my makeup to cover my bruise. It didn't take too long due to my system. I had to make my eye makeup heavier to balance the concealer. I rushed back downstairs though to help Daniel finish cleaning. We finished rather quickly and rushed to his car to go to school. We made it to the second half of first block.

"And who are you two?" the other English teacher asked us.

"We're new, uh we got.. lost?" Daniel tried to cover.

"Lost?" she asked, "I will not tolerate lateness, so I expect to see the both of you in after school detention, and you better not be late."

"Yes ma'am," Daniel and I said at the same time.

"Good, now go join that group over there," she said pointing to Dick and Barbara.

We walked over to them and sat down side by side, facing them. Dick was staring at me funny, and when I turned to Daniel he nudged me and leaned towards me, "Your makeup is runny."

I gasped and pulled out my compact with some concealer. He was right, my new bruise was starting to show. I immediately dabbed concealer to cover it up.

"Emily!" the teacher yelled at me.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Putting makeup on in class will not be tolerated. Now give me the compact," she ordered. I shakily stood up and walked to the front of the classroom to hand it to her. I went back to my seat and put extra caution into not touching my face to lower the chances of my makeup coming off.

"Are you okay?" Barbara asked me.

"Uh yeah, why?" I answered, not looking her into her eyes.

"You're shaking," she told me. Oh.

"She's fine," Daniel said kind of harsh.

"Daniel!" I gasped.

"Sorry," he muttered. I elbowed him in the ribcage causing him to grunt. Dick kind of laughed at that, kind of.

"Are you sure you're okay though?" Dick whispered, concern lacing his features

"Positive," I tried to look him in the eye, but failing. He narrowed his eyes at me, he knows I'm lying.

"Okay class, we have ten minutes left, this is your free time," the teacher told us. Finally. I put my head on Daniel's shoulder and he wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Are you going to be okay?" he asked quietly, "Why haven't you told anyone Em, we talked about this," he said a little louder.

"Daniel!" I urged him to be quieter, I didn't want anyone else to hear. It was embarrassing and made me look weak. He shot me an apologetic look then made stupid kissing noises. How embarrassing. "You look like an idiot," I told him.