Chapter 3

I woke up extra early to make it to school on time now that I had to walk. I took extra time styling my curly hair in an updo, and my makeup was perfect. My green eyes now popped, I had a light pink on my pale cheeks, and topping everything off was my bright red lipstick. My foundation was a little cakey in order to cover my yellowing bruise though. I arrived at school and suffered through first block and attempted to ignore Dick throughout second block.

By the time lunch rolled around I was done with everyone. After grabbing my lunch I spent the whole hour glaring Daniel, and he spent his switching his attention from glaring at me, to flirting with Kelli, to glaring at me.

Friday morning eventually came, and I had spent my first week at school hating myself. I've ignored everyone aside from Robin, and lately the visits have been brief due to criminal activities popping up everywhere. I spent whatever time I wasn't talking to Robin, or cleaning the house, on finishing that stupid English assignment since Dick hasn't worked on it at all. I printed it out before rushing to school in my attempt to be early. Math and History went by quickly, and finally lunch came. I was expecting an apology from Daniel because he spent all of Math trying to get my attention.

"Can I talk to you?" Daniel asked me as soon as I sat down at our table. I stood up and he followed me to an empty hallway.

"Here to apologize?" I asked him.

"Yes," he told me, "I'm so sorry I blamed you. It's not your fault, it's your mother's. I'm also sorry about the whole Austin thing. I still think he's a bad influence on you though..."

"Compromise," I paused, "You will drop the 'mother thing' and I will quit texting Austin because I know how jealous you get of him." I winked at him.

"Hey!" he called out, "You and I both know you're the jealous one!"

"You know, the attention thing," I said meekly.

"And how is that 'attention thing' going?" he asked me.

"I'm working on it, I'm starting to feel better about myself," I told him, blushing because Robin was the reason behind my elevating self-confidence.

"Why?" he asked curiously.

"You'd never believe me," I told him shrugging.

"No, come on!," he demanded, "I'm your best friend for a reason!"

"Some best friend you are."

"I resent that!" he pouted.

"Cry baby."

"Just tell me!" he demanded.

I whispered, "Robin."

"No way, like the Robin?"

"The one and only."

English finally came around, and when the teacher called on Dick and I to hand in our paper he looked down ashamed when I pulled out the typed assignment. After everyone turned their paper in she passed out another rubric for yet another partnered assignment. As soon as I raised my hand Dick turned to me and snatched it down, consequently grabbing one of my fresher wounds. I winced in pain, hoping he didn't notice.

"What?" I hissed at him.

"I'm so sorry for dumping that assignment on you. I swear it won't happen again," he promised me, looking into my mossy eyes with his clear blue ones.

"Fine," I said after staring him down.

"What's wrong with your arm?" he asked me, sliding my sleeve up, and exposing the blueish bruise.