[01] Mission Failed.

A young woman stepped into the poorly lit office-esque stone room, her [e/c] eyes glancing around in neutrality. Her black, flak vest and overall ninja attire blended easily within the shadows of the room, making her nearly impossible to spot if it weren't for her gleaming hitai-ate.

The Kage, as most called him, stared at the [h/c]-ette with a rather indifferent look on his face. This was not the first time he had called her in here, nor did he expect it to be her last.

"Yes, Kage-sama?"

The Kage folded his hands and rested his chin upon them, blinking leisurely.

"I have a mission for you, [Surname]." The Kage drawled out in that serious voice of his.

[Name] tilted her head back slightly, and stared at The Kage with an unwavering glare. Another? She had just gotten back from one, but she didn't complain. The mission brought in the money and were what kept her going, so a few hours of lost sleep was fine with her.

"What type of mission, Kage-sama?"

"An assassination."

[Name] crossed her arms and sighed quietly. As much as she loved getting rid of problem people, she also enjoyed taking time away from having her hands soaked in blood. Blood that wasn't hers.

"Alright, who might it be this time?" She queried and rested her gaze back on him. 

"It's a rouge-nin. She has been wrecking havoc in the Land of Waves again." The Kage answered.

The thin curtain separating the younger woman and The Kage blew gently in the breeze from a small window that was cut out in the stone wall with seemingly surgical precision. Moonlight filtered through the room, blue rays clashing with the red ones that came from a flickering candle, causing their shadows to teeter.

"Anymore information you would like to share with me?" [Name] asked, an unreadable expression on her face.

"The rogue goes by the name of Askoto. She has a history of blending in and fooling people into thinking that she's someone else. Be careful; you may end up killing the wrong person and that wouldn't be a good look for us. Not that I'd be worried about you getting tricked, that is." The Kage chuckled at the end, which was a very rare sound that only a select few had the honor of hearing.

[Name] nodded slowly. She would not get tricked by a fugitive.

"I wish you good luck, [Surname]."

Taking this as a silent dismissal, she turned around and took her leave.

•••

As [Name] stepped outside of the Kage's Tower, she was greeted with a chilly breeze and a lonesome darkness.

The streets were mostly deserted; no one was to be outside at night in Kagegakure. It was against the law of the village to be out after the clock struck twelve, and if you were caught, you'd be sent to prison. This rule is not a rule to keep the peace. It's for the safety of the villagers themselves.

It was very dark and scary, the village itself already being shrouded in shadows and cold all the time did not help when it was nighttime. The shinobi usually carried out their missions during this time, as it was efficient and made missions like this one much more easier to complete.

[Name] jumped rooftops until she made it to the village's main gates.

Kagegakure was built much like Konohagakure with a large wall circled around the entire village and two, massive, nearly indestructible doors sit idly at the front.

It wasn't like the village was very big but it was a secretive one, helping other villages get rid of evil nin that they couldn't.

[Name] walked through the gates, nodding her head at the two guards in acknowledgement and they did likewise, weary smiles on their faces as they slouched in their chairs tiredly.

And then she started her journey to the Land of Waves.

•••

By the time [Name] had reached the Land of Waves, it was already dawn. The sun was just rising and she was just arriving.

She walked towards the main part of the village, looking around for any clues that would help her find this 'Askoto.' The town wasn't as busy as she thought it would be but that's to be expected of a poor, controlled town.

She walked down a semi-crowded street and paused. There was a change in the air. It was like something sinister was swirling around in the air, and it was

She tracked the chakra down and it lead her to a small shop. A bakery.

[Name] entered, warily glancing around with narrowed eyes.

A woman came up to her, greeting her with a warm smile. She was tall, with red hair and blue eyes. A slim figure and delicate-looking.

It's her. [Name] thought and instantly got into action.

She quickly disappeared and reappeared behind her, stabbing a kunai into her back.

The woman screamed, blood gushing out of her wound as she fell to the floor. This attracted the attention of bystanders in the street.

Why didn't she fight back? [Name] frowned and stared down at the woman's now lifeless body.

A man busted in and looked down at the dead redhead in horror.

"W-What have you done?!" The man screeched and stared at [Name] as if she were a monster.

"I'm just doing my job. This woman was in Kagegakure's bingo book." She replied, frowning.

"B-Bingo book?! Are you insane? How could she be in a bingo book?!" The man yelled, gesturing towards the dead body of the redhead.

[Name] shook her head and glared at the man.

"It was my mission."

She stormed out of the shop.

And in the corner of her eye, she saw a swish of blond hair round a corner.

Askoto,

[Name] growled in her head and closed her eyes.

You tricked me.