[09] Mystery.

unedited

Pale hands flipped leisurely through the files of the Kagegakure kunoichi [Name] [Surname]. As one file was pulled out, another hand grabbed the one underneath; so on and so forth until there were no more papers to grab.

Naruto's eyes skimmed over the paper that he held in his hands—it was a mission report. The report seemed to be scribbled down in a rush, but it was long and very descriptive nonetheless. He had some trouble interpreting some words because it was so sloppy.

Sakura held another mission report and read at a nice pace to the point where she didn't even dare to skip a word. Her eyebrows furrowed at the limited information and question marks filled many spaces that could easily have been filled out by common knowledge.

Sasuke read the remaining mission reports and had her basic information, but nothing was adding up. How was this supposed to help them? Perhaps he wasn't looking hard enough.

The three individuals stood in a circle, all quiet and not speaking a word until Naruto broke the ice.

"Eeeh?! It says here that [Name]-sensei.. died?"  He exclaimed but with no hint of excitement present.

Sakura gasped, a hand shooting up to cover her mouth as she stared in disbelief. Sasuke held no emotion; he hadn't even looked up.

"This report was written by her." Sasuke intervened and held out the paper.

Sakura and Naruto gathered around it, both reading it with vigor.

MISSION REPORT:

RANK: S

OBJECTIVE: Find Orino Fuimo, gone missing along with others

TEAM: Team Bloodlust: frontline attackers

REPORT: The mission went smoothly at first. All leads were correct and we were able to locate the girl and the other captives. None were injured. An unidentifiable man appeared on retrieval. Could not suppress the intruder, he got away. We set up camp on Sand Village's border for a few days, he did not show up. Woke up one morning and everyone was gone, even the retrieval team. No traces left behind, could not locate their bodies or chakra within a distance of 50 miles. Arrived at Kagegakure alone.

Naruto scratched his head in confusion. She arrived at Kagegakure alone? And what a strange team name. Perhaps it was a village custom? He didn't understand. There must have been more to this.

"Maybe it's like.. a story." Sakura suggested when she finished reading the report, crossing her arms thoughtfully.

The blonde haired boy next to her lightened up when he remembered the report he had in his hand. It had to be apart of the story, right?

"Hey, hey, look at this!"

MISSION REPORT

RANK: S

OBJECTIVE: eradicate band of shinobi who are causing trouble on village borders

TEAM: Team YinYang: stealth, destruction

REPORT: mission failed. Team YinYang lost three members, including the all-rounder [Name] [Surname]. One teammate offered their life to save her, and now she possesses his powers. The band of shinobi all had difficult powers to track and we were unable to suppress them. Mission was beyond us.

"Scary," Sakura muttered. "but I don't understand these team names. What do they mean? YinYang? Bloodlust?"

Sasuke nodded at her, agreeing with her claim and even Naruto didn't have the capacity to say something to lighten the mood.

"Maybe it was something with the way Kagegakure works. No one seems to know much about that place anyways." Sasuke input.

Naruto nodded, "Mm! Mm! We should ask [Name]-sen—oh, wait.."

Sakura rolled her eyes for the umpteenth time before turning her attention back to the papers that were in Sasuke's grasp.

"Sasuke-kun, let me see that biography please."

RECORD OF KAGEGAKURE:
CONFIDENTIAL

[NAME] [SURNAME]

EVALUATION: [Surname] is an exceptional kunoichi who came to the village via recruitment. She is the first to wield the skills to be able to rotate between the three main teams in the village: YinYang, Bloodlust, and Blackram. It is unheard of.

Height: N/A

Weight: N/A

Age: 20

Sex: Female

Relations: Mother— Shinada [Surname]: Alive
Father— Mamoru [Surname]: Deceased
Brother— Takamura [Surname]: Deceased

SKILLS
Out of 5

Genjustsu: 3.5

Taijutsu: 5

Ninjutsu: 5

Healing: 3

Dark Arts: 4

"Dark Arts?" Naruto queried, tilting his head to the side. Sakura shook her head, "I don't know."

"A kekkai genkai..?" Sasuke suggested, cupping his chin thoughtfully. "Or a village specialty?"

Naruto ruffled his hair angrily, "Oh, this is all so confusing!" His cheeks puffed out and he pouted, crossing his arms childishly as he looked at all the different papers in his teammates' hands.

Sakura suddenly had another bright idea.

"How about.. we look up the history of Kagegakure? Maybe it would make more sense then?" She questioned rather than suggested, her green eyes darting to Sasuke for approval.

Nodding, the raven haired boy nonchalantly agreed with the girl's claim. "There's probably books about it in the library."

And off the three went, jumping rooftops with only one goal in mind. But perhaps the key to their problem wasn't hidden within papers or files.

They had missed the opaque pair of eyes following them.