Chapter Two ~ Endless Grass

I'm Rift. My brother is James. We've had to run ever since we saw that thing. I was assuming the handgun didn't work because we had to leave so quickly. Who knew what that thing was or where it came from. We drove out into the fields. James had his foot on the pedal the whole way. We were zooming over the plains like it was straight asphalt. The grasses weren't very high, although there were several rocks scattered around. We drove on and on, trying to reach the city. Then there was this disheartening thud. "What do they want!?" I shouted. I looked back ahead and there was a blue head in the windshield. It had these deep green eyes and menacing teeth in its mouth. James slammed on the brakes immediately. The abomination flew off the hood and hit a rock. Then the engine started sputtering. We ran outside the car. The thing had damaged the engine with its frightening claws. There was a big outcrop of rocks some way away. James and I ran as fast as we could to try and climb it. No use. It was completely vertical. The creature had us cornered. I screamed with fear,"SOMEONE HELP!!" Of course, there was no one around since we were in the fields.I heard the scream of pulsating energy, and then there was this gut wrenching squelch. The creature fell on its knees, then flat on its face. There was an arrow protruding from the base of its skull. "What.." I mumbled. There was a teenage boy running over with a destructive looking bow. He stood in front of us. "Hey. I'm Max. And I believe I just saved your lives."