Chapter 18 - The perils of being an amnesiac

I wonder down the street aimlessly, looking for anything vaguely familiar. I feel like I’ve been here before but I’m not sure. I walk down another street which was quieter than the last.

I notice a gap between two houses, my instinct tells me to walk through the overgrown grass. Felling a lot like Alice exploring wonderland I walk through and see a large building.

I have been here before!

Hoping Drake was inside I begin my search for the door, which If I remember correctly was camouflaged to look like the wall. I run my finger along the surface of the bricks until I can feel smooth wood.

Cautiously, I knock.

A few seconds later the door swings open to some guy I don’t know and have never met. I’m pretty sure I’ve never met him before either. “Is Drake here?”

I needn’t have completed my sentence as, as soon as ‘Drake’ is out of my mouth, the guy turns around and hollers his name.

Drake begins to saunter this way. I make no attempt to enter the building and lean against the door frame, waiting for him to notice me.

And when he does: “What the hell happened to your face?” He drags me into the building, near the kitchenette. “Sit here,” he demands, then starts rummaging through the units. He pulls out a first aid kit and deftly begins to clean up my injuries.

Once he’s done he goes to have a word with the guy who opened the door to me, then grabbing his jacket he walks towards me. “Let’s get out of here.” He says looking around as if waiting for something.

As we walk away from the shed he seems to relax more and after walking in silence he faces me. “Sorry, it’s been a long day.” He sighs, running his hands through his hair.

“Same,” I smile back, not allowing myself to wince.

 “You want to talk about what happened to your face?”

“Not really, no.”  I wouldn’t know how to explain it anyway, ‘Kyle sent three guys to follow me. I’m still not entirely sure about what he wanted but I beat two of them up and the third turned out to be a really nice guy. Which I found out after receiving a cut lip and a black eye.’

Yeah, 'coz that would go down well wouldn't it? 

He doesn’t insist and instead takes hold of my hand, intertwining our fingers. “How’s the memory coming along?”

“Weirdly, I’m remembering a lot more but there are still some gaps, it’s like a jigsaw with missing pieces. I just need to find them.”

“Well, how about we fill in those gaps. You hungry?”

“What’s my hunger got to do with giving me memories?”

A cheeky grin lights up his face, “You’ll see.”

Have I ever mentioned how odd boys are? If I have, well let me just restate that.

We walk into a small diner, and as we wait to be seated I play the memory game. Starting with: Does anything look familiar? I take in my surroundings only to see that, yes, certain things do look familiar.  Is there a possibility you would have been here before?  Well, Captain Obvious – this is the only eatery in the village, what do you think?

That’s a probably then.

We’re sat in a discrete corner booth, which is where I’m assured of having visited here before. The girl from school that looks vaguely familiar takes our order.

Ugh.

Hasn’t that phrase just been a huge part of my life now?

 ‘Vaguely familiar’

‘Possibly know.’

I try not to dwell on how suckish amnesia is as I make small talk with Drake, however I can’t say all bad things about it. Being an amnesiac does have it’s perks, take now for example even though there are still gaps missing from my memory I can very distinctly remember the time where Drake told me he ‘likes me’.

And because Drake’s being understanding he’s not going to bring it up at least for a week, which would give me ample time to ‘remember’ it – or so he thinks. So for now, holding hands and hanging out is good enough for him.

Living in this blissful state of ignorance isn’t going to do me any good (despite how comforting it feels) but, it does give me the chance to figure out what I feel about him.

And this is where amnesia gets sucky again.

That Caspian guy? I’m sure I like him too. Or do I? Or do I just think he’s cute? Or what? I don’t remember hanging out that much, or knowing much about him. So where does that put us?

Does it even put us anywhere? Is this classified as a relationship?

Woah, there tiger.

Does he even feel the same way?

Are you even-

In the name of everything that is good and holy, brain shut up. Before you explode and that poor girl that you kind of remember has to scrap brain matter of off the walls.

“Ez?... Ez?” Drake’s voice beckons me out of the craziness of my thoughts.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry I totally zoned out there.”

“It’s cool, the thing is I’ve got to go my Dad’s calling me.” He waves his phone a little.

“Oh sure, I hope he’s okay.”

“I think, he’s over reacting. You sure you’re okay with it?” He asks again, slight disappointment in his words.

I shrug,“ It’s a shame, but if you’ve got to go. We’ll have dinner some other time.” I smile, attempting to placate him.

“Sure, some other time. It’s a date,” he smiles, the worry lifting odd his face.

He just had to go say that didn’t he?

The girl that I kind of know comes up with our order, just as Drake leaves. Perfect. As she puts our orders down, I ask “when’s your break?”

She looks stunned that I even talked to her, “it -it’s whenever.”

“Care to join me for dinner?” I motion to the food, as much as I love food I can’t eat this all. She walks away from the table, I try not to let the disappointment show visibly.

A few minutes later she comes back, minus her uniform.

“My boss said I could have the afternoon off.”

“Awesome,” I give her my biggest smile. “I don’t mean to be rude or anything but I can’t remember your name. It’s not that you’re so boring I forgot it’s just_”

“You had amnesia, I heard. It’s Tiffany.”

*

Completely unedited. Not sure if I like this chapter. I want to know what you think! So the person who gives the awesomest comment gets a dedication :D

This is dedicated to @JustAllieHere because she's awesome <3

Don't forget to vote/comment/fan :D

(tried to do something about the spacing issues but I'm not getting anywhere - sorry)