Chapter 36 - The Big Day

“What?” I exclaim too shocked to comprehend anything else.

“The wedding is tomorrow,” he repeats to me slowly, as if I don’t understand English.

“I can’t just get married! I-I-I it’s supposed to be the biggest day of my life! I’m away from home, all alone without my family! And you want me to get married?! You didn’t even propose! I don’t even know what’s going on here, I don’t even know you anymore!” I rant at him, but what I was really thinking was, ‘What if Caspian doesn’t come in time?’

“You don’t want to marry me?” He asks in a small voice.

“It’s not that I don’t, it’s just too much, too soon. I barely know you and your family, and yet we’re getting married tomorrow!” I try to backtrack a little.

“You can get to know me! That’s what marriage is about, right? You’re just saying it because you like Kyle better!”

This escalated quickly.

“No! I don’t, how could you even think that? You never seem to trust me and we’re only boyfriend and girlfriend, what’s it going to be like when we’re married?” I ask, knowing the answer won’t be anything I want to hear.

“I trust you, of course I do –“

Bullshit alert.

“Yeah, of course you do,” I say my voice dripping with sarcasm, “so much so, that you’ve only accused me of cheating with your brother of all people four times already. Like that’s completely normal!” I exclaim, livid now. I’m taking my frustrations and worries out on him and yet I don’t find myself caring, he needs to grow up and smell the damn roses.

One thing I hate is being accused, especially if I have done no wrong. Now I know I’m not an expert at relationships, this being my very first one and all but this is not how it works. No way.

“It’s not normal, by the way, you’re supposed to trust me. We’re supposed to have an understanding where you know me well enough and I know you well enough to know we would not cheat on each other. That we are meant to be together and right now, to be completely honest with you I don’t know if I can do that.”

“Do I know that I can trust you? Do I even know you anymore? ‘Coz frankly I’m not even sure who you’re becoming. How can we get married tomorrow when I don’t know who you are and you can’t trust me?”  I ask, not expecting an answer. I walk away, wondering if I’ve made the biggest mistake by blowing up at him and loosing him as an ally, but really Kyle was more of an ally than him.

Drake was the equivalent to an airhead here, completely ignorant. In the back of my mind I knew Drake would consider everything I’ve said to him and then dismiss it completely. The wedding is still on for tomorrow, he was no where near as brave enough to ask his father to postpone.

I’m unsure about what to do, as I walk away from him to go upstairs and enter in the confines of his wing or to visit Becca and the rest of the girls? No doubt that they were suffering too, I dither slightly longer but decide a midnight visit would be more apt.