From the Beginning/Introduction

A strange feeling of awe overwhelms me as I stand in front of the famous Majestic Theater. Rain falls lightly from the clouds above, and the theater's bright lights create inspiring reflections in the numerous puddles dampening the New York City street. People's shoulders bump into me and bulky handbags swing into my back as passerby's, who see this theater every day, rush to their destinations of dry taxi cabs and quaint apartments. 

     With one glance down to my Fossil watch, which my parents gifted to me for graduating West Virginia University with honors in the Fashion Department, I see that it is five minutes before six o'clock. The street lamps just flicker to life as I walk through the entrance of the renowned theater, in just two hours this place will be alive with an anticipated audience, their ears yearning to hear the melodies that The Phantom of the Opera contains. Yet, the thought of actually being part of that excitement has not settled. Sure, it is behind the scenes, but that is the best part. Not everybody gets the chance to see the inner workings of the longest running Broadway musical.

     "You must be Ms.Griffith! I am Holland Cortanza," a soft-spoken voice instantly greets me as I wipe my boots off on the vibrant red carpet. 

     I look up to greet Holland Cortanza, never have met her in real life. I was interviewed by a male who was probably in his sixties, and was limited to simple e-mails with Holland. Those messages were short and straight to the point. So I had not an idea of what to expect with her. A woman, probably in her mid forties to fifties, smiles kindly up at me. She is merely a few inches shorter than me and has wrinkles near the corners of her eyes. Respectfully, she offers her hand for me to shake. Her hesitant matter and low volume prompts me to suspect that she is not nor was ever a performer herself. I wonder what brought her to the theatre industry...

     "Yes, however you may call me Annaleigh," I return her smile while wiping my hands off on my jeans and then return the handshake. 

     "The girls are excited about you becoming their new dresser. The last one was old- well- my age!" she laughs and releases my hand. I smile and chuckle lightly, not wanting to come off rude by laughing at her age.

    She turns and starts to walk towards the back of the foyer, motioning with her hand for me to follow her before she starts to talk again, "Anyways, they really wanted someone closer to their age. Fresh meat, if you will, to this enormous production."

     I nod thoughtfully but since I am behind her she cannot see it. Quickly, I formulate a response, "Well I am sure my excitement is much greater than their's. It is such a great opportunity to work here! I already know I will learn so much through hands on experience and realistic exposure."

     She pushes open a door and we walk through a lengthy hallway, my boot heels create staccato 'clicking' sounds on the linoleum floor as we walk. I swing my tote nervously, excitement flowing through my veins like adrenaline. I take in every detail of this moment, how the bright fluorescent lights sting my eyes if I look exactly at them or that the white paint on the wall has not even one chip nor fault. 

     "Your optimism will surely catch on," she assures brightly, pushing open another heavy metal door. It leads to what I presume is the main backstage area, "This is where all of our actors and backstage crew get ready and hang out. Down another hallway are the dressing rooms for Christine, the Phantom, and the ballet corps. Up those stairs," she points to our right where a staircase resides, "That is where Raoul and the managers prepare, along with the ensemble further up. Quick change is immediately off of stage right." 

    We continue the tour until we approach a door labeled 'Quick Change'. Holland twists the doorknob and we peak into the quaint room. As expected, the many outfits I have watched on crappy Youtube bootlegs are aligned expertly on hangers. Each labeled for a different actor and their assigned character.