No More Talk of-

I smear the last bit of dark red lipstick on, completing my make-up for the performance. My hand is shaky as I snap the cap back on and put the rest of Kaley's stage make-up back in her bag. Looking up, I peer at my reflection beneath my long (and fake!) eye-lashes. The girl in the mirror is not me, no matter how corny that sounds. That reflection staring back at me is Christine Daae, a simple chorus girl with a tragic and sticky past.

One last time before I start my stretches and warm-ups, I check my phone. Clicking the center button, the screen lights up showing that I have three new text messages, one missed call and another missed face-time call:

Kaley: "Goodluck tonight Annaleigh! Show the world your hidden voice! Btw we are so talking about how you kept this talent from me when I get back..."

I smile while replying with a quick thank you and move onto the next message

Julia: "OMG I JUST HEARD THE NEWS WHAT IS THIS ABOUT YOU SINGING!? Good luck tonight and love you girly xo"

Rolling my eyes gratefully, I type back an equally exaggerated thank you and check the last message.

Norm: "So you can sing now? That means I should be able to sew... Anyways good luck tonight!"

I respond with a solemn thank you and a warning that needles are sharp and he doesn't need to get himself in any worse condition.

The missed call is from my mom so I call her back. While waiting for her to pick up I drum my unpolished nails along the edge of the vanity.

"Hello?" a familiar voice picks up.

"Mom!" I exclaim, relieved to hear her, "You called me?"

"Well I couldn't let my Broadway superstar of a daughter forget about her parents now could I?"

I groan, "Mom it is my first and last show."

"I don't know, agents could be in that very audience in just an hour waiting to sign you! Oh honey, Broadway.com is going to be live tweeting the whole thing. They already have an article up on their website giving the details of you debut. Something about 'Small-town Girl Lives Big-time Dream' and-"

"Hold on, you have a twitter? Since when?" My mother is not nearly 'in' enough to be on social media. Also my mind is buzzing from the fact that Broadway.com has an article about me.

"Sweetie that is unimportant! Your father and I wanted to fly out there and see you, but all flights in and out of New York City are cancelled. How bad is that snowstorm there?" my mother asks quizzically.

I let out a small laugh, "Bad enough that a theatre had to make one of their dressers the leading role. A.k.a, me. If it weren't for this storm a swing would be taking it upon themselves to be Christine Daae for the night. After all this is what they were trained for..."

"Oh, I see." My mom simply states.

"What?"

"You are having doubts about your ability. But dear, if you sounded like a horse dying from a heat stroke then they would not put you in the spotlight. Didn't you text me before that you had to audition against an ensemble member..?"

"Yeah, but-"

"No, you are going to do just fine. You father, brother, and I all believe in you. Go out there and live a dream you gave up on. If you can't do it for us, do it for yourself."

"Thanks," I take a deep breath, "I really needed that."

"I know, now I'm gonna let you go, okay? Your manager is live videoing your whole performance for us, so I will see you perform tonight! How exciting! Love you!"