The Next Day

The next day, a Tuesday, I enter through the backdoor in which Julia kindly showed me yesterday. Even though I am not a performer myself, I still have to sign in by the call-board along with the other dressers and wig keepers. I smile as my signature flows across the page swiftly, as if it marks me officially becoming a part of the 'team'. 

     Rubbing my eyes I take a sip of my Starbucks and make my way to the dressing room. Holland scheduled me to be here at 8 a.m. so that I could work more with Ms. Voyager (of whom I may call Gail, which is short for Abigail, but is so much older than me that I cannot help but refer to her by her surname). Today I get to learn how to steam and press the garments properly so that they do not get ruined. 

    With three tired knocks to the door, a familiar face swings it open to greet me, "Hello, Ms.Griffith. You may come in."

     I smile curtly at Ms.Voyager and step by her into the quaint space., dropping my tan Frye fringe tote on the swivel chair in front of the vanity. I bought the bag with the money I earned from my first real job as a helper at Macy's during my senior year of high school. Oh how much has changed since then. I am no longer that wannabe in Ohio. Now I am a wannabe in New York. I stretch my arms while my mouth opens wide with a lengthy yawn. Usually I only have to be this early on Saturday mornings, at least that is what Kaley told me. 

     "The iron board is kept in the cupboard inside the wardrobe. The steamer should be right behind it," the older lady informs me while taking out the iron and plugging it in. She raises her eyebrows, "I am not retiring for no reason, now come and help an old lady out." Her tone is scolding but her eyes are still warm.

     "Oh, sorry," I mutter, my cheeks burning with a scarlet blush as I hurry to help her unfold the ironing board. 

     "Although we usually steam every garment, there are just a few things that have to be ironed out. The maid's outfit from Il Muto during Act I and the rooftop scene cape which is also Act I. The only Act II garment that would have to be pressed is the Wishing cape and red scarf. Everything else has to be steamed," she explains, her tone morbid.

      I remember yesterday she gave me notes about each garment and the care for them. It was nearly a quarter inch thick and I read it all last night with a cup of peppermint tea in hand. That explains my exhaustion this morning, I was up until nearly 2 a.m. memorizing every detail and aspect. I still have so much to learn. 

     "Yes,  I remember reading about the ironing process in the notes you gave me yesterday," I pitch in, checking to see if the iron is hot enough by holding my hand near the face.

     Ms.Voyager raises an impressed eyebrow, "You already went through the notes? Every page?"

     "Uh, y-yeah," I stutter, "Wasn't I supposed to?"

     She scoffs, not rudely as one would guess, but it offers more of an accepting tone, "Yes, but I did not expect you to actually do it. Young ones these days do not know how to do hard work," she complains, laying out the blouse of the maid outfit, "I am rather thankful for your commitment."

     I smile to myself, "Thank you."

                                                                                    ~*~

     With sweat running down my brow and my arms sore, I dress Kaley Ann Voorhees in the slave girl outfit, her first look of the night.

     "You look exhausted," she comments, her made-up eyes wide with interest. 

     I finish untangling the fringe skirt and stand up, stretching my legs, "Yeah, well I got about three hours of sleep last night."

     She shakes her head softly, "How are you even functioning?"

     "This," I answer, taking a sip of my Starbucks frappe. It is my second today. During my lunch break I walked there in the rain, which never seems to stop in the city. Luckily Julia, who had arrived minutes before my break, had an umbrella for me to borrow.  

     "Coffee," she says approvingly, "I have to stick to tea." She taps her throat, smiling sneakily, "However sometimes I treat myself to an espresso on Monday mornings. Do not tell Pete." Pete Gorgon is their vocal coach.

     "I will take it to the grave," I promise, honored that she would tell me a secret after just one day of meeting one another, "Anyways I usually do not drink coffee either, but if I didn't I would be sleeping right here on the floor." Kaley giggles and shakes her head.

    Sighing, I move the curls on her wig so that they rest on her shoulders and frame her pale face. Then, taking two strides backwards I survey her full frame. Everything looks in place.

     "I am finished!" I announce so that Ms.Voyager can reenter the room. She had to leave so that I could try dressing a 'Christine' by myself. If she remained in the room she would have blindly gave me advice, since she cannot hold her tongue. My heart beats nervously as she surveys my work, walking around Kaley in slow circles. The girl giggles under the older lady's sharp eyes. 

     "Well done," Ms.Voyager comments, nodding to herself, "It is perfect." 

     My heart drops as my eyes widen, "Really?"

     "Did I stutter? No. You did absolutely fine," she comments, "I am putting you in charge of the Il Muto maid outfit as well."

     Stunned, my mouth opens to thank her in some way, to show my gratitude. Originally it was planned that I would take on one new look a day, working up to all 7 at the end of the week. But now I am to do two outfits. With all of the accessories, shoes, clothing pieces, and under-garments to remember... The job seemed simple but in reality 'Christine' has to be ready in a certain amount of time so that she could be at her place at the right time. If she isn't there... well... I probably wouldn't be here much longer.

     "Yay!" Kaley cheers as Ms.Voyager leaves without another word. I never got to thank her.

    I smile sheepishly at the young actress, "I think I can handle it, if you help me."

     Kaley rolls her eyes, "Duh I'm gonna help you! I want you to be here instead of that woman. You are so easy to talk to."

     "Who's easy?" Julia chimes in as she walks through the door holding a 'Schmackary's' box. I cock my head to the side with interest.

     Kaley laughs and swats Julia on the arm, which is covered by a knit sweater, "Oh please. I was talking about how Annaleigh is a great listener, especially compared to Ms.Voyager." She playfully shudders, then grabs the box out of Julia's unsuspecting hand. Julia turns and frantically tries to regain possession.

    "Schmackary's... What is that?" I ask curiously, noting the cookie clip art behind the name. 

     The girls freeze their struggle over the box and give me wide-eyed stares, "What?"

     I shrug, "I have only been here a day."

     "It is a bakery with cookies you literally would die for. I got them in celebration of your first day on the job! You must try one of these," Julia opens the box and hands me a simple chocolate chip cookie." Kaley tries to sneak her hand in the box to nab a dessert, but Julia swats her hand away, "You are due on the stage in a half an hour and you haven't even started your warm-ups yet!" she warns, her lips set in a stubbornly straight line. However she is too nice to be seen as condescending, and we all know that. Even me.

     "Fine," Kaley rolls her eyes and starts to stretch on the floor, grabbing the rubber tips of her ballet shoes. 

     "We get Schmakary's more then necessary," Julia laughs as I try the cookie, "You will learn our ways soon enough."

     Chewing into the cookie, which Julia did not lie and is amazing, the question reverberates inside my head. It goes deeper than talking about a baked good and makes me think about my new job as a whole. With new people to meet and information to know...

     Will I learn their ways soon enough?