Chapter Twenty Two

Levi and I decide to sleep. I can't remember the last time I actually laid down and tried to rest, so I decided that since Felix and Ry probably won't bother us for a little while we can at least attempt at it. I let Levi rest his head on my stomach, since I want him to be as comfortable as possible, but eventually I start coughing. Not like an occasional tickle in my throat; I start coughing up my lungs for minutes on end, and it hurts worse than I ever thought sickness could create. I tell Levi to lie back on the ground because he's not going to be able to sleep on me with all my heaving, and he obeys, curling up into fetal position and closing his eyes.

            I don't ever really get to sleep. My cough and my sudden fear of having another nightmare about who knows what is keeping me from falling into slumber. I'm kind of upset, since I'm so physically and emotionally drained, but I decide that I should probably stay awake to keep watch in case Felix or Ry decide to show up while Levi is asleep.

            I wonder if Theo has taken action yet. As long as he didn't get a severe punishment for throwing his plate to the ground, he should be able to retrieve his walkie talkie and try to contact someone. A pang of worry surges through me—Felix really wasn't happy when he walked up and found his side of the counter empty.

            I tap my fingernail against the concrete as if it could entertain me. It's really hard to find things to do besides worry and fear; it's like my mind is superglued on the subjects and it refuses to let it be. I want to think of pleasant things, of music and laughter and being with the people that make me happy, but nothing works. The memories fade too quickly as I sit here. It feels like something is sweeping them away with a broom as soon as I open my thoughts to them.

            "I can't sleep," says Levi suddenly, who turns his head to me and sighs.

            "I can't either." I smile a little at him, reaching down to him and taking his hand. "I don't think I will be able to for a while."

            He nods slightly. "Me too."

            We just sit there for a few minutes, and I run my hands through his hair for the millionth time and he watches me as I do so.

            "What are we going to do if we actually get out of here?" I ask him, trying to distract myself.

            He looks at me like he can't believe I just asked him such a question. "We're going away, like I told you all those years ago. I haven't changed my plans."

            "What if social services won't let us?" I lift my arm up to my mouth and cough a few times, the ache returning to my chest like a knife.

            He shakes his head as much as he can manage. "I don't give a shit anymore.  I really don't. I'm not listening to anyone. This town has screwed me over; I'm not staying in it any longer."

            I nod. "I know. Okay."

            Just as I say this, I hear yelling above us and footsteps. I meet my gaze with Levi, who looks terrified just like every other time that Felix or Ry have made hints of approaching us. It's still hard for me to believe that they've actually hurt him to a point where he can look as horrified as he does; he used to look so fearless no matter what he did.

After a few moments of tangible fear taking up the air, the big metal door in front of us slams open and Felix steps inside, towering over us as I catch myself trying to get closer to the ground. He looks angrier than he did when he threw Levi in here; his eyes are filled with a fiery rage and he's breathing heavily through his nose. He has a pistol in one hand and ropes in the other, getting strangled by his tight grip.