Chapter Five

"It doesn't make sense, they didn't do anything wrong," Theo says.

"Well, anything bad enough to get kidnapped," I answer.

Theo's house is massive. The moment I stepped through the garage door and into their house, I was blown away. Even the laundry room, the room that we entered first, is huge-about the size if my bedroom, and all that is in it was the washer, dryer, and walls lined with unused cabinets. As we continued into the kitchen, I couldn't even speak. The ceiling is high, making the room feel very large and welcoming, and the countertops are marble, which probably cost a couple thousand dollars for each top. All the appliances have touchscreens to control, and a flat screen TV is built into the wall above the microwave. It doesn't even seem real; how could someone have the money to pay for all this?

"Close your mouth, you'll catch flies," Theo had said as I stood there, gaping. "It's not even that big of a deal."

I told him otherwise, but he didn't listen. He told me to sit at the island, and got me a cup of coffee from his fancy brewer. I almost declined his offer, but I realized how cold and tired I still was from waiting outside for so long.

Now, he's sitting next to me, drinking a glass of iced tea. We're both just relaxing here at the island, trying to figure out what Levi and Cara have in common, and what could have caused the two to be taken.

"What do you mean, bad enough?" he says, referring to my answer before.

"Levi's kind of... negligent, I guess you could say," I reply, taking a sip of my coffee.

"Does he have a criminal record?"

"No."

Theo looks at me, confused. "How?"

"He gets away with it. Pretty simple."

He takes a sip of his drink, his eyebrows knitted. "Then he couldn't have done anything very corrupt," he says.

I wrap my fingers around the navy blue mug he had given me, letting the warmth soak through my bones. "Pickpocketing wallets, shoplifting food from gas stations... he was dealing for like a week last year, until he realized it was really wrong."

"It is really wrong."

"I know, and I kept telling him that. I helped him understand that he could get in major trouble for it. He just wanted the best for me-he would do anything to get money or luxuries for us."

"Why didn't you get allowance or anything from your parents? I mean, that's how I get money besides my job," Theo says.

I almost choke on my coffee from laughing so hard. He just stares at me, a concerned look painted on his face. He doesn't know why I'm cracking up, of course, and I should probably explain, but I keep laughing instead. I find the thought of having parents hilarious, like it's the best joke I've ever heard.

"I don't get it," Theo says, starting to laugh at his oblivion.

I set my elbows on the counter, placing my face in my hands as I giggle. My stomach is starting to ache, but I feel like I could never stop. I've lived my entire life without my parents, and I really doubt I'll ever meet them. I'll never know their real names, or where they live, or what they look like. I mean, they were ruthless enough to just give Levi the baby carrier and leave us on some stranger's driveway. I don't even remember who they were, considering they put us in foster care just hours later. Then again, maybe I don't want to meet my parents. They obviously don't care about me or Levi.

"Sadie, really. It was a simple question, why is it so funny?"

I wipe the tears from my eyes and look at him, breaking out into a small round of laughs once more. "Because I don't have parents. I never have, and I never will."