Chapter 5: Ex-Soldier

(Picture of Allison above. If the picture is not visible, please let me know.) -Bri*

Brittany's POV:

"No! She's not infected! Don't you son of a b****!" Keith yells profanities as three Soldiers are forced to hold him down from interfering.

I don't think Talon is going to come running with a bow this time. Keith can't fight off an Army and just look at me, I can't even move. I knew my luck would run out eventually, but you'd think it would be from something a bit more heroic than this.

Not only that, but if I'm infected, I'd rather go down from a bullet than turn into that creature that walks the night.

I don't look at the man as his boots splash in the rain in front of me, gun aimed. I lay my head down flat on the ground and close my eyes. Suddenly the gun goes off and I scream in pain, but I'm not the only one.

The man, who was two feet in front of me, managed to miss my head and get my right shoulder with about three bullets instead. I quickly look up and see a Runner on top of the Soldier, biting into his neck. The others shoot it dead as well as the newly infected man.

"Runners!" One of them yells, "Take the Survivors to the quarantine!"

Suddenly we're all yanked up and two men keep a hold on each of my arms. I yell when one of them twists my injured shoulder the wrong way. They shove all of us into the cramped backseat of a Military vehicle.

I look outside and see the Runners attacking the Soldiers and in turn, they're shooting as many as possible. I try to open the door but it's locked. I go for my pistol but it's gone, they must have pulled it off of me when they held me down.

We speed off towards the quarantine zone and we have no choice but to stay put. Once we get inside the gate they yank me out and drag me like a dog.

They pull the boys and Keith in a different direction towards a large building and Keith and I both fight. I look towards what I think is the sleeping quarters and I see Zoey and Ally on the second story looking out their window at us in worry. As a matter of fact, just about everyone is looking out at us.

"Get off of me!" I yell and throw my foot up, only to be hit in the shoulder and I yelp in pain.

I watch as Keith is dragged inside and I'm shoved into a separate building a good ways away, the dorms separating his building from mine. They push me down the hall of many cells, but they're all empty except for one that is occupied by a man, and stop at a cell at the very end of the hall.

They shove me inside and slam the sliding barred door closed, announcing, "You got lucky. Let's see what the boss thinks."

They then exit the long corridor and I'm left with no noise except my heavy breathing and the rain pelting the building. The man in the cell opposite of mine doesn't talk to me and for that I'm thankful. I'm pretty sure I don't look too sane at the moment.

The rain has soaked me from head to toe, my shirt and neck as well as my shoulder is covered in blood, and I bet ten to one I'm shaking like a leaf. Yeah, he probably thinks I belong in the nuthouse.

The man has to be around my age, a little on the short side but his muscle is still defined pretty well. He has on ragged clothes with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes to match. He needs a hair cut.

Ha! Here I am about to be killed and I'm worried about my fellow prisoners hair. I scoff aloud and sit Indian style on the floor, holding my right shoulder that I can't even move. Unfortunately, they just had to shoot my shooting arm.