Epilogue

Epilogue

(A/N: Just couldn't leave it how I did:) -Bri*

Brittany's POV:

"Momma, will we ever get to go out there?" Keith asks me, pointing to the Wastelands.

I smile at him, "One day, when they build new homes there."

We're sitting together on the roof of the aircraft carrier.

Keith is now ten years old, and he's very smart. I smile at the memory of my best friend, Keith, and lean back. We're both sitting criss-cross, staring over the city.

Before they dropped a warhead anywhere near us, they'd moved the ship far out to sea in hopes of protecting it. Just recently they arrived back home and my mom allowed me to bring Keith to see it. It was a nice trip out of that basement, and it was the first time Keith had seen the sun.

I had told him all about the outside world, the good things, of course, when we were still underground.

Talon and I operate a company underground and develop new architectural blueprints for weapons and future buildings. We've already planned out twenty-five miles of the Wastelands, and they're working on it now.

Over the last ten years I'd learned to come to terms with what happened. And I'm much happier now.

Everyone has a memorial every year for those that lost their lives, but Talon, my closest friends, my little boy Keith and I all have a personal memorial for Keith outside of the bigger one.

Of course my son had asked who Keith was, and I had no problem telling him the stories; but when I told him I tried to leave out the scary parts or bad memories.

"Mom, are there monsters out there?" He asks me. I glance down at him and shake my head no, "No, Hun, not anymore."

"But there used to be?" He asks.

"Yes." I reply.

"Will I ever get to see one?" He asks curiously.

A shiver goes down my spine, "No, Sweetheart, you'll never see a monster. You'll never have to worry about them."

I remember when Keith asked about his grandpa. I told him he passed away a long time ago, and that was it. The only grand parent he has is Nora, unfortunately.

"We need to go back home, Hun." I stand up and offer him my hand.

He takes it, but replies, "I don't want to. I like it out here, it's pretty."

"I know, baby. You'll get to come back out later." I reply.

"Will I ever get to live out there?" He asks, pointing to the construction.

"When you're older, yes." I confirm.

-----

"Daddy!" He yells, jumping up at Talon, forcing him to catch him.

"Hey buddy, did you have fun?" He asks.

"Yeah! It was so pretty! The sun was this big!" He stretches his arms out as far as he can, "But it hurt my eyes, though."

Keith continues to ramble about the outside and I just smile. We'd arrived in the lunch room and everyone was sat at our designated table. I pull Talon's chair for him since his arms are full of an overly-excited Keith and he thanks me.

I then pull out my own chair, and when I sit down, the whole thing collapses.

I gasp and the twins, Collin and Dylan, burst out laughing. Collin is now twenty-five and Dylan is twenty-two, but they still act like children.

I stand up and glare at them.

They halt their laughter and scramble out of their chairs, Dylan basically falling out of his, as they take off running.

I smile and jump over the table, going after them.

One day, our lives will be normal again. Well, if you think about it, they basically already are. We're a family, and we're together because we fought for the light.

A broad smile spreads across my face and laughter escapes me.

This home, this family is the light that we fought for.