Chapter 11: I Do

Chapter 11: I Do

(Picture of Jax above. If the picture is not visible please let me know.)

Brittany's POV:

I hold my breath as the Wendigo jumps with great agility to the hanging crystal chandelier above the living room. It swings back and forth as it continues to scan the room. Its movements remind me of a spider.

I use only my eyes to look over at Jax and see him slowly, and only when the creature looks away, trying to reach for his refuel tank on the flame thrower. He looks at me and back down at his leg. There I notice the fuel strapped to his calf.

I catch Collin looking at the gun on the end table beside the couch. No, that gun's not going to work! He goes to step forward and the floor creeks, causing the creature to snarl and jump from the lights and to the ground, but before its legs have the chance to catapult it towards the boy, I instinctively yell, "No!"

It then looks at me and I bolt for the basement door, a dumb yet panicked decision, and only then do I remember my injuries.

"Stop!" Talon yells, trying to take its attention away from me, but the creatures goal is now on my life.

I trip on the third step and go fumbling down the stairs. My back hits the concrete wall at the end of the stairs and I suddenly get dizzy. Through blurry eyes, I see fire explode down the stairs, hitting the creature.

I quickly roll out of the way and Jax corners it to where I once was, hitting it non-stop with the blast of fire. Its screams, that will forever be engraved into my mind, slowly die out and I lay there, letting out short but hard puffs of breath.

I lean up on my elbows and Jax gives me a hand, helping me stand, "Are you alright?" He asks.

"Define alright." I reply.

"Alive." He says.

"Then yeah, I'm alright." I let out a deep breath, willing my adrenaline to calm down.

I lean on the cold wall for support and cringe when I smell the burning of the creatures flesh. Talon stands at the top of the stairs, holding his side subconsciously, the place where he was burnt the worst.

I carefully make my way up the stairs, and wince when I get to the top. The adrenaline is now gone and the pain in my stomach is returning with vengeance.

"It didn't get you, did it?" Talon asks, searching me for any further injuries.

"I'm really sorry. It caught me in the mines and it lead to the house." Jax announces.

I shake my head and reply, "We've been through worse, don't worry about it."

-----

I lay in my large temporary bedroom and close my eyes. I'm about to freeze. I pull my red bedspread over my shoulders and shiver slightly. It's dark outside, so Jax made us blow out all of the candles. He barricaded the window that was broken and is currently doing one last lookover of the land.

Sawyer re-stitched my wound and it actually feels much better. I let out a sigh and begin to drift off to sleep.

A few minutes later and my door creaks open. I immediately sit up and see Talon in the doorway. What shocks me is when I see how puffy his eyes are... He was crying.

"Talon.." I trail off. It's hard seeing him cry; he's always smiling. It's like watching a mighty king fall to his knees.

"Can I sleep in here? I'm about to freeze." He replies, trying to blow off why he's really in here. I don't push it and reply, "Yeah, yeah sure." I quickly note that I'm just in my underwear and a T-Shirt, but I trust him, he has respect for women.