Chapter 4

We all sat in awkward silence as my father stared us down. With his pale toned scales and extra horns, he could've passed for IceWing, but his barbed tail ruined the look.

I looked to Echo-Star who had her rainbow wings hidden by her side. Her black midnight scales stood out against the rainbow scales that lined her back. She looked almost nervous as she fiddled with her talons.

I stared at my locket, the only thing I really wanted to do now was sit in the corner and watch memories and secrets. It maybe sounded wrong, but it wasn't like I would tell anyone.

"Err" My father cleared his throat and turned his gaze on me. My violet eyes froze as I slowly looked up.

"Who is this?" He finally asked nodding toward Echo-Star. It soon dawned on me. I've never really had a friend! And my dad was trying not to ruin this oncoming dragon that probably wouldn't ever be my friend.

"This is umm... Echo-Star the Rain-NightWing" I nodded toward her quietly. I had no idea where this conversation was going.

"Yep... That's me" Echo laughed nervously. Her deep voice going slightly high pitched.

"And are you guys planning to go out and do friend stuff?" My dad asked as I flinched by his mood. My father has never been like this. Never. I wanted to pin him down and yell, what have you done with my father!

"Umm..." Echo looked over at me as if asking for help.

"Yes!" I quickly blurted out while jumping towards Echo. I wrapped my arm over her neck trying to show we were buddies. Echo bared her teeth at me angrily obviously not like me so close. But her lips soon turned up and she smiled.

"Yeah, me and my best friend here were going to go to the rain forest for a couple days" Echo smiled as I was about to smile and play along when I realized what she said. The rain forest? Me? Going to the rainforest? I almost jumped around in joy, but I held myself back for the sake of me going. I've never been anywhere, but the sand kingdom.

"The rain kingdom?" My dads neck spikes flared in surprise. "But isn't that far?" His tail swished through the sand nervously as I began to think of how long of a trek this would be. At least if I go I wouldn't have to carry a really heavy dragon the whole way... Unless Echo-Star collapsed. I slowly looked at her and shook my head. Nope, if she collapsed I would be leaving her.

"It's alright, there's a tunnel not to far that short cuts from here to the rain forest" Echo-Star smiled reassuringly as my father watched her carefully before his gaze came to mine.

My eyes grew hopeful and I stared him down hoping to soften him up. "Fine," he broke. "Only for a few days though" dad hissed quickly before I launched myself foreword giving him a giant hug.

"Hurry up and go before I change my mind" my dad hissed from underneath my hug. I laughed at him. There goes his happy mood.

"Come on Echo" I hopped off my dad and began heading toward her. She still had that smile plastered on her face, but her eyes told me that she hated this with all her guts.

"Yeah alright..." She grumbled before she realized what she did. "I mean oh joy! Let's get this adventure going!" Echo's voice went so high with trying to be hyper I almost laughed.

"I'll see you in a bit dad" I twined the ends of our tails together making sure not to hit the barb.

"Good bye Locket" He hissed, but had a light smile on his face. Slowly I untwined our tails and I walked out of the tent with Echo-Star in tow.

Once we got outside her smile dropped into a look of disgust. She moved her jaw around as if trying to stretch it because it was sore.

"I'm guessing you don't smile much?" I asked as she walked faster as if trying to leave me behind. I followed her unknown of where or what this tunnel looked like.

"I hate smiling" she grunted out as I laughed heartily. This trip was going to be something.

~Tiger~