Chapter 1: A Sick Mistress

It was a brisk Spring morning in the Moors, Maleficent was trying to sleep but was unsucessful. She started feeling ill yesterday afternoon but thinking it was just sleep deprivation, went on with her day. Her symptoms gradually got worse and by morning all hell broke lose. Sore throat, cough, fever, chills and head ache. On top of that her whole body ached.

Diaval was sleeping above his Mistress on a branch in his raven form when he awoke to her coughing and immediately went to her aid. He nudged her gently to get her attention, silently asking to be transformed into a man.

Maleficent knew what Diaval wanted and smiled wearily down at him as she whispered, weakly.

"Into a man."

Her magic flowed out of her hand in thin streams of Yellow. The mere act of changing him left her barely conscious.

"Mistress"? Diaval questioned cautiously as he knelt beside her and gently put his hand to her forehead, she was burning up.

"Oh" maleficent moaned. "Diaval I don't feel so good" she croaked.

"I know mistress, I know, don't worry I'll take care of you." He soothed, stroking her cheek.

Diaval wanted so badly to craddle his Mistress in his arms but knew she would be uncomfortable in the arms of a man because of her past with Stephen.

Instead, he resolved to lift her head gently into his lap, keeping her warm and protecting her delicate head from the rough ground. Her body tensed slightly and he noticed a look of fear flash in her eyes. "Shhh," Diaval gently reassured his Mistress.

Seeing that the sun was beginning to rise in the sky, he pleaded with Maleficent, "sleep Mistress, I would never want to see you without your wings again. You never need to fear me."

Maleficent finally let her eyes close and Diaval couldn't help but let his grief and worry show in his expression. He knew his Mistress was very ill and things were only going to get worse before they got better.