Chapter 5: Recovery

Diaval woke up before Maleficent, musing at how well he slept with his Mistress in his arms. The calm moment vanished as he felt Maleficent stiffen in his arms. She jolted awake sweating prefusely and reaching out to Diaval.

"Hush Mistress, it was only a dream." Diaval tried to comfort her but she was still a mess. "Tell me what happened and I will ease your worry."

"We..." Maleficent stopped, taking a deep breath before starting again, "we were back at the castle, my wings didn't get to me in time. Stephen had me cornered and pierced my chest with an iron knife. You were chained down by the soldiers and I was too weak to help you. It felt so real..." Maleficent trailed off, unable to continue speaking of the horrid dream.

"Oh my dear Mistress, you're safe with me. As long as I'm around, you have nothing to ever fear." Diaval pulled her into his lap, rocking her gently until she stopped sobbing and her breathing returned to normal.

They were broken apart by a rumbling in Maleficent's stomach, reminding Diaval that she hadn't eaten in several days. "It seems your fever has broken. I think it's time to eat that soup Aurora brought for you." Diaval stood up to grab the cannister, thankfully it was still warm.

Diaval was happy to see her sitting up on her own, although he missed holding her already. She nearly ate the whole cannister of soup in one sitting, her system needing the nourishment after fighting such a terrible illness.

"So..." Diaval started slowly, " King Phillip brought something for us, an invitation to his and Aurora's wedding."

"What?" Maleficent asked, her eyes snapping up to meet his, "why am I just hearing this now?"

"Your health was far more important, Mistress. I was going to tell you when it became relevant, which it just did. Besides, I know you and you would have rushed off to help Aurora prepare. It would have slowed your recovery or worse, spread it to Aurora right before her wedding day.

"Well, you still could have told me..." Maleficent teased, unable to keep a smile off her face at his confession.

"Like you would have comprehended anything, you were dead asleep. Is that a little drewl on your cheek Maleficent? Diaval teased her right back.

"It seems we have a wedding to attend then." Maleficent stood up, reaching for his hand.

"First, lets get you back to bed, you're still weak." Diaval suggested.

They walked back to bed, holding hands the whole way. Neither one of them had trouble falling back asleep in each other's arms. This time, Maleficent dreamt only of Aurora's upcoming wedding, knowing she was safe in Diaval's loving arms.