Chapter 2: Far Away

At home that night, Gabby grumpily flipped through the mound of folders Patrick had given her. More photos of the male dancers with the wild afros slid out. They looked like twins. She groaned out loud. What in the world is he getting me into?

Patrick was crazy, bossy, and impulsive, but he was also a genius. They’d been friends ever since college when he bum rushed her in English class demanding to know where she got that “fierce” red handbag. They both graduated with journalism degrees. But Gabby went to work for a newspaper while Patrick started his own company.

Now Trend Magazine was one of the hottest magazines in the U.S. and the pulse of the entertainment world. She still remembered Patrick begging her to quit her dead-end newspaper job to come work with him. You won’t regret it, he’d said. And he was right. She had interviewed some of the biggest names in the business.

She’d never been to Paris though.

A loud iPhone buzz interrupted Gabby’s thoughts.It was her fiancé Keith calling from Chicago. Quickly, she swiped the screen with one finger and tapped the speaker icon.

“Hey, baby.”

“Heyyyy…how’s my girl?”. Keith’s smooth, deep voice boomed through phone. “I wanna see you.”

“Ha,ha, okay…,” Gabby’s voice trailed off as she called him back on FaceTime.

“Umph. There’s that pretty face.”

“Awwwww, babe. You’re making me blush. How was your day?”

“Long. And I’m missing you.”

“Mmmmm, yeah. Me too, sweety.” Keith smiled and Gabby studied the chocolate skin, perfect teeth, and dark eyes peering out at her from the screen. He was a beautiful man, but his job as a radio host kept him on the road. A lot.

“I’m flying out to LA tomorrow for a few weeks then I’m coming home to you. I promise.”

He was lying. Gabby dropped her eyes and sighed. By now she’d learned that whenever he said “I promise” it usually meant at least another month apart.

“You know what? Actually that’s perfect because I’m leaving for an assignment in Paris this weekend. As a matter of fact I have a ton of files to read so I’d better go.” She was pissed and trying to get off the phone with Keith and he knew it.

He hesitated like he wanted to say something but didn’t. “Ok, then. I’ll call you tomorrow. I love you.”

Gabby rolled the sparkling two-carat diamond engagement around on her finger before saying anything.

“I love you, too.”