Prologue

Every day is a struggle for me. I'm like Cinderella in this house. I clean, and clean with nothing in return. The only difference between Cinderella and I is that this isn't my family. I live with inkeepers and their daughter, Eponine. My mother sends money when she can, but it's not used on me.They put it towards their inn. This family isn't one I can tolerate. Like, for instance, my "mother" has sent me to get water from the well by myself. I'm only eight years old and I'm terrified. So here I am shaking in the cold for water. The pale was about to fall when I heard a branch snap. I dropped the pale and hid. The man was tall and looked strong. His hat was tall and his jacket long.

 "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." His voice was soft, but raspy. "What's your name?" He kneeled down to show he was friendly. I peered out from behind my tree, but was frozen still.

  "My name is Cosette."

  "Let me help you with your bucket." I smiled at his generosity. He carried my bucket and me back to my hole. I don't really remember the whole conversation, but the ending I will never forget. This man was to be my father.

  "Will you be like a Papa to me?" I was worried that he would leave, but something told me that he was different.

  "Yes, Cosette. This is true. I will be mother and father to you." This is where the story of Cosette Valjean, me, begins.