Chapter Seven

It’s Wednesday and the Pack still seems to want me. They sit next to me in class and follow me around at recess and lunch. As much as I try not to get too excited; I can’t help it. The day feels warmer, the sky feels happier, and everything now seems bright and full of energy. I can’t believe how much a few smiles can do. My headaches still come, but I can ignore them now.

The last class of the day comes and goes.

When I’m at my locker collecting my stuff, Benji comes over. At first I think he’s just going to talk to his friends, but he doesn’t.

“Hey, Lavina,” he says, almost awkwardly.

“Hey,” I’m surprised that he’s talking to me of all people, and I hope neither my voice nor my body reveals it.

“So, I was wondering,” – he brushes his hand through his hair – “if you would go out with me.”

I’m shocked to hear him – him: Benji – say these words to me. I know I’m taking too long to answer but my mind just won’t click back into gear.

“Sssooo…I’ll take that as a no then?”

“No! No! I mean yes,” I stutter. “Yes, I’ll go out with you.”

He seems relieved and a bit stunned. “Yeah, okay, I’ll see you later then.” He takes a step forward and starts to raise his hand as if he is going to take my hand. But he doesn’t, My heart drops a fraction as he waves and walks off. Wow! I have a boyfriend. I feel like shouting it out to the world. But I can't, because then I would look like a complete dork.

I run over to Chloe to tell her the news, but she’s already left. I curl my fingers over my mouth in excitement. I suppress the urge to jump up and down with joy. 

The bus ride home is spent in a dream-world. When mum sees me she instantly sees that something has happened. I hardly notice anything she says.

"Lavina. Lavina," I hear.

"What?" I ask.

"Has something happened at school, Dimples?"

"Nothing much," I reply coyly. I give a little spin and walk away. As much as I'm sure mum wouldn't care, I want to keep this part of my life a secret for a while.

I find myself humming a tune as I fall asleep.