Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Melody rubbed her eyes, she was extremely tired. Last night something had felt wrong, really wrong, leaving her to toss and turn all night long trying to figure it out. Walking to school she glanced around warily, leaving her stomach to gnaw on itself with hunger and the slight curls of worry that threaded through it.

Her mother had left a note saying she wouldn't be back for a couple of days, and said so in her exact words, 'Fend for yourself brat; you might learn something about life.'

Melody wasn't offended by the note, in fact, it had been surprisingly kinder than most. Tightly grasping the straps of her backpack, Melody felt a shift in the air as she approached the school but couldn't quite put a finger on it. Melody sighed, she wished she had someone to ask about what was happening, but no one wanted to talk to her-fairytale girl. If Ian had heard about her nickname, than his brother probably did to, and if he was like everyone else, he would want nothing to do with her.

Melody stepped up the first step on the stairs and felt someone stick out a foot to trip her. She gasped and prepared for impact, but instead felt warm arms wrap around her and lift her up so that her feet were dangling in the air.

"Are you alright?" A deep rumbling voice asked her.

Melody felt herself nod and the person set her back on her feet before she muttered a quick thank you and fled into the school. She didn't get very far before a hand wrapped around her arm and she was forced to look around, but she didn't look at the person.

"Where's the fire?" He asked, chuckling and releasing her arm, "Hey, what's wrong?" He asked when Melody hadn't answered.

Melody answered to the floor, "Nothing."

"Then how come you aren't looking at me?" He wondered out loud. Melody didn't have an answer for him, so instead she took a deep breath and looked up, clutching at the sleeves of her sweater.

The first thing she thought was 'God he's tall.' And he was, huge almost, but amazingly proportionate. Melody watched speechless as he moved his auburn hair out of his dark grey eyes as he looked at her. The gesture was so familiar. She felt as if she had her hand reaching out for a small thread, but every time she grasped it, it had managed to slip away. It was so frustrating and she had just begun to realise how much this was really starting to bother her. She looked up again at the red headed by and tried desperate to grasp the thread he was attached to, but as usual it slipped away and she was again-frustrated.

"W-w-what's your name?" Melody felt her lips move, but she didn't know she had been talking, or that she wanted to.

He smiled, flashing pearly white teeth, "Jason. Jason Mcdonald. Yours?"

Melody felt her heart flutter and her mind reach out to grab the string, but it was gone. New people in the school were beginning to annoy and tire her. "Melody." She answered lamely.

"Pretty name." he said, his gray eyes twinkling.

"Yeah." She responded, still trying to grasp the concept of how she knew him. "I'm sorry; do I know you from somewhere?"

He smiled down at her, "No, I would remember such blue eyes."

Melody blushed at the compliment, "Thanks."

The guy smiled and Melody returned it meekly. She had the sudden feeling that someone was watching her, and she swore that she had seen a flash of green eyes and curly hair, but when she looked around the hallway was empty-with the exception of Jason and herself. Melody shook her head and gave Jason another smile, perhaps she was losing it; getting lost in her fairytales.