Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:

     Melody opened the Jaz’s car door of, fully aware of the trembles that ran through her system. Behind her in the backseat, Hannah was sitting in Ian’s lap. The entire car ride home had been pure torture. His dark blue eyes had been trained on her face through the rear view mirror, smirking as Hannah held onto lips  for dear life.

“Thanks for driving me home, Jez,” Melody said meekly, as she stepped out of the car. She teetered slightly on her platform heels and she dully cursed the damn contraptions.

Jezebel offered her a small smile from the front seat, “No problem Mel. Do you need to be picked up Monday?”

Melody nodded her head and closed the door to the car. She heard a slight scuffle in the back and saw Ian kissing Hannah’s neck. Melody drew in a shaky breath before managing a small polite smile and turning on her heel heading into the house.

She was supposed to have slept over at Jez’ house but she couldn’t, not when Hannah had also been invited.  It had been a last moment decision and apparently Jez had thought that now the three of them shared some weird connection that it would make them all friends, she was wrong. If anything the curly haired, green eyed girl hated her more.

Melody could hear the sound of the car pulling away from her house, as she made her way to the front door. She placed her hand on the door of the knob and pushed it open into a dimly lit hallway where at the end, her mother stood. Her thin face hallowed and empty as if all laughter and happiness had long drained away. The only thing that gave way that a person lived underneath her cold beauty was her smoldering dark gaze.

“What are you doing back?” She snapped, the fire in her eyes flaring as she watched her daughter. Her large blue eyes looking anywhere but her.

“My friend dropped me off,” Melody said lamely, closing the door behind her hoping to avoid the inevitable of looking in her mother’s lifeless face.

The older blonde sneered, “Since they didn’t want you, they gave you back?”

Melody nodded, pulling the leather jacket Jason had handed her closer to her body.

Her mother’s eyes narrowed and zeroed in on the jacket, “Whose is that? Is that a boy’s?” Melody nodded meekly, flinching a little away from her mother’s accusing tone. “Have you been sleeping around you little slut?” She hissed, venom blanketing her words.

Melody shook her head looking at the floor, “N-no Mom.”

Her mother watched her coldly before turning around and dismissing her, “Get out of my living room.”

Melody scurried past her and up to her room. Her heart was beating as tears filled her eyes. The pain of rejection and dismissal from her only family member hurt. It hurt a lot. Her own mother despised the sight of her, or more so, her eyes.

 When Melody got to her small pink room at the other end of the house she kicked her shoes off and climbed onto her childish comforter. Downstairs she could hear her mother raiding the dwindling supplies of the liquor cabinet. The purple covers felt cold as she lay on it, the crowns on the bottom barely reaching her feet as she curled into a ball.

The humongous leather jacket was warm and smelt like the woods, calming Melody. A few minutes and a few deep breaths later, her tears disappeared and she let the jacket fall off of her.  The slick fabric sliding off her bed and onto the floor with a quiet, thump. Melody stood up from her bed, slowly changing out of the purple dress and hung it nicely in the closet. She swept around her room and put away her shoes, the jacket, and the thin belt before collapsing back on her bed.