Chapter Thirty

CHAPTER THIRTY

Melody was enraged. She could feel the hair on her arms standing on end as her story book characters lunged at one another, even if she really wasn't watching them. No, she was too busy staring bullets at Demetrius Lancaster, watching him realise the terrible mistake he'd made.

By trapping Melody in that white hall - her own mind - he had made her angry but by killing her mother he had made her livid. Now all she wanted to see what Demetrius Lancaster deposited to the depths of whatever hellish dimension she felt like cooking up.

Beside her Jason was emitting a thunderous howl that was nothing more than a death threat. On her other side was Mo, her disguise gone now that Melody really knew what she had to hide and what she had looked like before she had fled her husband. Perhaps she hadn't been able to see it earlier because she'd been so blinded by all her own problems but now she could see Mo like she truly was; enchanting.

Mo FitsWallow's hair was a cascade of fiery red sea that touched her waist and danced with such fury on the waves of the wind. She was tall and feminine, an evergreen dress clinging to her womanly figure. Above a slender neck, pursed pink lips, and bold cheekbones were the most riveting things, her eyes. Dark like rich chocolate and expanded with so much knowledge. They appeared to be utterly depthless.

From where Melody stood with her three commanders she could see the person at the head of the pack - Pyke. The string of his longbow stretched as he ran, smiling manically. Melody watched his lithe figure as it darted forward, his thick hair of red gold shining under the moonlight.

In a rush, he released the arrow from his bow and when it made contact, Melody felt as though she'd been the one to be hit. The air rushed out of her chest and she doubled over, gasping for air. When she looked up she could see the man that Pyke had hit doing the identical thing. The only difference was he was slowly disintegrating into bright particles of light.

There was a snarl of pain something so deep and feral Melody flinched and then realised dimly it was her. Her head was throbbing uncontrollably, sweat edging her brow. She fell to her knees.

"What's happening?" She wheezed, a piece of straggly blonde hair hitting her in the face. Her own hair.

"They're returning to you," said a pleasant, airy voice. Melody didn't have to look up to know who the voice belonged to. Aphrodite.

Melody's stomach plunged backwards so hard that it left Melody choked and like the assault beforehand her brain began to punch the walls of her skull with the force of a battering ram.

"Why is it hurting her so much?" Mo.

"I assume it's because they are essentially her, if you really think about it." A laugh. "Can you imagine having a whole bunch of people being shoved inside your head? I'm surprised she didn't feel anything when Hannah went back." She said it so flippantly, so unaffected.

Melody bent over in pain as someone else was shot down before being mercilessly crammed back into her head.

"M-m-make it stop!" It was her saying that. Warm liquid falling down her face.

She felt burning hot arms go around her. Jason. She shied away from him.

"How do you fix it?" Jason demanded, his voice sounding angry and excited. Probably due from his sudden Turn, at least that's what her pain fogged mind guessed.

Melody mewled in pain as another hit plowed through her shoulder. A jabbered scream ricochet out of her throat.

"I don't know," Aphrodite said. Melody imagined her shrugging. "I didn't even think this far ahead. I didn't actually think that ugly little princess would free me."