Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:

         Melody sat down in her seat beside Jez, who was fiddling with her phone and smiling whenever it vibrated.  Sucking in a breath, Melody realised a friend was supposed to inquire about what she was doing, and she wanted to be Jez’ friend. She wanted to have a friend.

   “Who are you texting?”

   Jez looked up from her phone and smiled, showing her row of bright white teeth. Melody wondered if she had ever had braces. Then she blinked, she knew she had had braces.

  “Some guy I met at the party, when you went missing.”

 Melody bit her lip, “What’s his name?”

  Jez blushed and her eyes dropped to the phone that had just vibrated, “Mason.” The name sounded familiar to Melody and she didn’t have the best feeling about it, but she still managed to share a small smile with Jez.

  “He sounds hot,” someone said next to Melody, making her jump in surprise, nearly tipping her chair over.  Melody managed to steady herself by gripping the table, but an arm shot out in front of her and rested on the table, blocking her from Jez.

  Hannah smirked over her shoulder at Melody before focusing on Jez, “Did you guys get up to anything?” She winked at her friend, insinuating something that made Melody blush, despite herself.

  Jez was hardly paying any attention to her and was frowning at the limb that had moved in front of Melody. Her dark brows were furrowed a little bit as if she was thinking hard about something. Melody hoped she’d say something against Hannah. Say something to make her go away. Maybe Melody understood when she didn’t, maybe Jez still wanted to be Hannah’s friend, her best friend. But she knew if that happened, there would be no more Melody.

“No, nothing happened,” Jez told Hannah, before her device buzzed and she looked down at her lap.

  Melody’s eyes dropped to her fingers as they twisted together, peeking out of the sleeves of her large sweater. She wished Hannah would go away; the main female character was making her nervous. Which someone would think was weird; Melody was after all, her creator.

  “I see you’ve disappeared into your shell again,” Hannah said when Jez’ was no longer paying attention to them and was now only worried about the message from her new beau. “I bet you feel like shit,” She taunted, “You lost the guy you liked to a person who you made exist. I couldn’t even imagine what that would feel like.”

  Melody shivered and pulled her sleeves to cover her hands, wanting more than anything to disappear, to be swallowed by a hole in the ground. Everything she was saying was true.

  Beside her, Hannah leaned into the side of the table, her dark green eyes flashing like emeralds, very triumphant emeralds.  She moved until her breath fanned the side of Melody’s face, the smell of mint toothpaste emitting from her glossed lips.

 “But do you know what else, Fairytale girl?” She was by her ear now and she said, “You’ll never have him.”

Hannah moved away from her and said something to Jez, pushing Melody aside as if she were nothing and at the moment, that’s exactly what she felt like.

  By the time the bell rang and Mr. Michaels had entered the room, Melody was trembling. Hannah had moved to a spot near the back and Chase had taken the table next to Melody. She could feel his blue eyes on her face, trying to figure out what was wrong. But he wouldn’t know - he wasn’t the one who had created a monster. A monster that hated its creator.