Unexpected

To my surprise, Kaji walked into my room.

"Hello, Kai.  It's been a long time.  How are the twins?"  He asked me. 

I didn't know what to tell him.  I guess I could say, Oh, they're wonderful.  They are growing up so quickly.  Oh, by the way, Lexi just made me her chevalier.  Life is perfect now!  I just couldn't bring myself to say that.  Instead, I said, "They have grown up quickly.  I have explained a few things to them, but I have left out a few others.  How have you been?"

"I have been fine.  I traveled to Russia to cover up whatever chaos we might have caused.  I felt the urge to return.  I feel as if Saya may be awakening, but I have no idea why she would."  Kaji explained to me before saying, "You look . . . odd . . . are you ill?"

I knew I couldn't keep him from finding out what happened, so I told him what happened.  When I finished the story, Kaji stated, "Maybe that's why I feel Saya rising.  I don't believe any chiropterans are going to cause mayhem, but she may be awakening to protect the world from the possibility."

Protect the world from the possibility?  How would she protect? 

Suddenly, there was a loud bang as my door flew open. 

"Papa Kai, Papa Kai!  You're awake!  How are you . . . "  Nicolette began, but froze as she noticed Kaji standing in front of my bed.  "Wh . . .who are you?" 

"My name is Kaji.  I am your aunt's chevalier.  Are you Lexi?"  He asked.

"No, sir.  My name is Nicolette.  Lexi is still upstairs in the . . . in her room.  If you'd like, I can see if she ca . . . would like to come down."  Nicolette replied shyly.

Kaji smiled and replied, "That won't be necessary.  I will talk to her soon.  Thank you."  He then turned to me and said, "It was good seeing you again . . . brother.  I will come back tomorrow.  I believe you have some business to attend to."

I watched as Kaji, my chevalier brother, walked out of the room.

"Papa Kai, why did he call you brother?  I thought you only had one brother, Riku."  Nicollette's reminder of my little brother caused a lump to form in my throat.  Part of me wished Diva had never laid hands on my brother, but the other part of me would be lost without my nieces.

I smiled at her and said, "Remember my story about the chevaliers?"

She looked up at me with her wide, dark eyes and replied, "Yes.  You mentioned Kaji is a chevalier.  They are created to serve and stay with us . . . I mean, Chiropteran Queens."

"Yes.  That's correct.  Well, remember the drink Lexi gave me?  She made us salty plum drinks."  I reminded her.

I could see the gears moving in her head immediately.  Suddenly, she replied, "Oh, Papa Kai, please tell me . . . surely she didn't!  Ar . . . are you Lexi's che . . .chevalier?"

I couldn't reply.  My silence mixed with her falling tears let me know that she knew. 

"Oh, Papa Kai!  I don't know whether to be happy or sad!  Please, don't be mad at Lexi!  Now you'll be with us forever!  This is a good thing, right?"  Nicholette asked. 

I honestly didn't know if it was or not.  To comfort her, I replied, "Yes, this is a good thing.  I promise I am not mad at Lexi.  I wish she had talked to me about it first, but it's in the past.  What is done cannot be reversed."

Jumping up off the bed, she excitedly replied, "So that means Lexi can come down and play?  I have been so lonely without her!"

"Yes, I will let Julia know to bring her downstairs.  Now, go get cleaned up.  I will fix us something to eat."  I watched her bounce out of the room. 

I had much to think about.  I must admit, I am excited about the possibility of Saya waking up from her slumber.  I need to figure out what to tell Lexi, I thought to myself.  With a heavy sigh, I got out of bed and got dressed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:  I apologize for the delay.  I have been somewhat reluctant to write lately.  School is finally out for the summer, but I have been pretty busy.  I am highly flattered with the comments I have gotten so far on this story!  Thank you for reading!