What Have I Done?

What have I done?  How could I have been so careless?!? I've now drank the blood of Nicolette, a chiropteran queen.  After all my training, I was careless.  "Julia!!!  I need your help!!" I yelled.  She ran out to me with a worried look on her face.  "What's wrong, Kai?" She asked.

"I ingested some of Nicolette's blood!  I don't know if it's going to change me into a chevalier or not.  I need you to do tests."  I told her.  Nicolette and Lexi were both looking at our exchange with curiousity.  We had yet to tell them about how chevaliers were made.  "Papa Kai, are you ok?  What's a shavahleeyay?"  I smiled at Lexi's attempt to pronounce the new word.

"A chevalier is like a human, but lives to serve the chiropteran queen that creates it.  It's a chiropteran.  He or she protects his or her queen."  Both girls looked at me with their wide eyes.  Nicolette asked, "Didn't you say that Lexi and I are chiropteran queens, Papa Kai?"  We had explained to the girls a few months ago that they are chiropteran queens.  It was necessary.  They had began to notice that they healed almost immediately as opposed to others around them.  Julia had been helping me in the kitchen when she accidentally cut her finger.  They had asked us why Julia continued to bleed when they would have healed right away.

"Yes, Nicolette, you girls are chiropteran queens.  You girls are the only queens that are awake right now.  Your aunt, Saya, is the other queen.  She is sleeping for now."  Lexi then asked me, "How are chevaliers created?  You told Aunty Julia that you weren't sure if you were about to turn into one."  I hesitated telling her the truth.  The Red Shield and I had decided that it probably wasn't a good thing to tell them until they were older, but the girls were very bright.  "Is it because you accidentally swallowed some of Nicolette's blood?"  I decided to tell them the truth.

"When a queen feeds a human her blood, that human becomes a chevalier.  We still don't know exactly how it works, but that is the basic information."  Nicolette then snapped her head towards me and said, "Does that mean you're my chevalier?"  I let out a sigh and said, "It might.  Aunty Julia is going to run some blood tests on me to make sure."  The three of us walked inside to Julia's office.  It was time for the girl's transfusions, and she needed to draw some blood from me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julia had the results the next morning.  "Good news, Kai.  You did not ingest enough blood to become a chevalier."  I was relieved.  I looked down at the girls.  Nicolette looked a little disappointed, but it was understandable.  Both girls wanted me by their side all the time.  They were seven years old, about to turn eight.  They were being home schooled for now.  We were afraid they would expose something to other children accidentally if we let them go to public schools.  Also, they both had growth spurts that were quicker than normal humans.  Though they were only seven, they looked ten years old.  Nicolette decided she wanted to go outside.  "Papa Kai, can you come throw the ball with me?"  Nicolette was the tom-boy of the twins.  I replied, "Sure, sweetheart.  Lexi, would you like to come play, also?"  Lexi looked at us and said, "No, Papa Kai.  Thank you.  I'll make you guys something to drink, though.  How about some salty plum drink?"  Nicolette excitedly exclaimed, "Yes!  Lexi, I would love some!  Salty plum drink is especially yummy after playing ball!  Are you sure you don't mind?" 

"Of course I don't mind, sister!  I'd love to make some!  I'll bring out the glasses in about fifteen minutes."  Lexi hurried off into the kitchen as Nicolette and I went outside.  I threw the ball to Nicolette.  She caught the ball just like a professional ball player would.  She threw the ball back to me.  She had an arm that would be comparable to a high school girl.  Our game continued until Lexi brought out the salty plum drinks.  The three of us sat down.  "Here, Papa Kai.  This one's yours.  I put extra plums in yours."  The sun was setting.  As I admired the golden color of the sunset, I swallowed the drink quickly.  I had built up quite a thirst.  Suddenly, I felt a fire course through my body.  My body began seizing and compulsing.  I blacked out as Lexi was saying, "Now, you'll be with me forever, Papa Kai."