Forgiveness

"Hello, Papa Kai."  Lexi solemnly said to me.  Her eyes were lowered.  I knew that she felt guilty.

"Lexi, you and I need to have a private talk." 

The way she looked at me told me that she was scared.  Scared of what I may say or do to her.

"Lexi, what you did was . . . wrong.   I can't think of any other way to say it.  Though I am angry, there's nothing I can do about it now.  As your chevalier, I vow to protect you for as long as I shall live."

Lexi looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "Papa Kai, I am so sorry!  I didn't know exactly what I was doing.  I just knew that I wanted you to be in our lives forever.  Do you forgive me?  Please tell me you forgive me!"

I don't know if it was the desperation in her voice or the loyalty from my bond, but I did.  I told her as well. 

After she and I talked a little longer, I brought up Haji. 

"He came by here a couple hours ago.  He is your aunt's chevalier."

Lexi's eyes lit up at my statement.  "Maybe Haji can help us learn what to do!  Surely there is a right way and a wrong way to be a Queen."

I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before, but Lexi made a lot of sense.  Tomorrow, I will search for him.  Even if it takes all day, I thought to myself.

"Lexi, it's past your bedtime.  Nicolette is already asleep.  We can talk tomorrow.  What would you like for breakfast?"

With a smile, she told me that she would like fish, rice, and miso soup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spent most of the night thinking about Saya and the time we spent fighting the chiropterans.  It all seemed surreal that it even happened.  I went to the beach to watch the sun rise before cooking a large breakfast consisting of okayu, miso soup, tamagoyaki, aji, and served umeboshi along side it.  It was the largest breakfast I had served in a while, so my housemates were quite surprised.

Lexi and Nicolette ate three servings before claiming to be finished.  I, on the other hand, did not eat a bite.  It was just another reminder of how my life had suddenly changed.  As a chevalier, I simply do not eat. 

As the others were eating, I excused myself.  I decided that I should hunt for Haji before the others claimed my attention.

I searched everywhere.  After walking up and down the beach and busy streets, I decided to take the long trip to the family burial ground.

The sun was setting as I spotted Haji's silhouette.  In his arms was Saya.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:  I almost didn't make my deadline.  Last night, as I was falling asleep, I realized that the week was almost up and I had forgotten to write.  I must admit, I have lost my drive for writing this story.  I will continue it, especially since I have a vague idea of where it is heading.  I am sorry for the short entry.  It was a long day at work and I am just plum tuckered out.  On a side note, I was playing fetch with my cat for a while.  She thinks she's a dog.  :-)  I hope you guys enjoyed the entry!!