The Boy with the Black Mask by @Walking_disaster79

"This is the one," I said with certainty.

"I agree, it couldn't be more you," Jane added as she stood behind me looking at the mirror in front of us.

The mask I had on my face this time was perfect. It was as if the mask was made just for me. It was simple enough not to be over the top, but complex enough to be stunningly beautiful. Underneath was a classic over the eyes and nose mask, but it was covered with leaves, starting with green and then turning into a warm brown.

I couldn't help but think what my best friend would think of it. Would he like it?

I smiled and looked to see my friend in the mirror. She was wearing a soft pink mask, one that went perfectly with her blond hair and pink dress she was intending to wear to the festival.

The festival.

Every summer our town organized a festival that lasted two weeks. Every day of the festival held a different theme and event. Today was Friday and we had already had an outdoor cinema, bingo night, fairy tale night and a bonfire. Today it was time for the masquerade ball.

I couldn't wait for the ball to begin. This was definitely going to be the best night of the festival. Especially since the usual warm summer weather was lighter tonight, even allowing for some wind to start blowing.

As soon as I came home from the store I called my best friend, Aiden.

"Hey, man! Did you find a mask?" he asked before I could even say hello.

I laughed. "I did. You will never recognize me."

This year Aiden and I wanted to make things interesting - we wouldn't see each other's masks before the ball and then we'll see if we can find one another.

I could almost hear his smirk during his next reply. "Wanna bet?"

I rolled my eyes. "You should stop gambling your money away. You know I'll win anyways."

"Who said anything about money, my dear Logan? I had something else in mind."

"Let's hear the genius idea." I said lightly, knowing my best friend would come up with something that would benefit him immensely.

If nothing else, he and I would have a good laugh. That's all I really cared about. As long as he is happy... Then I'm happy. Oh, the curse of being in love with your best friend.

"When I win..."

"If you win," I corrected him.

"When I win," he repeated anyway, intentionally trying to provoke me. "You'll have to do one thing I tell you to do."

This really was genius. The things I could have him do... "We have a deal if when I win, you have to do one thing for me."

"That won't happen, but we have a deal."

***

The town square was beautifully decorated. I knew Jane had helped with the decorations and I made a mental note to tell her she'd done a really good job later.

There were portable lights everywhere, each one in another color. The path that led to the dance floor (the stones of the square were covered so people could dance) was made with rose petals and small candles that lit the way. Tall trees that were leaning above the dance floor were amazing as usual, but tonight they were shining with lanterns that hung from the big branches.

A lot of people had already gathered by the time I arrived. I couldn't believe how awesome everyone's masks looked and I subconsciously touched mine to see if it was still in place. I fixed my white shirt collar. As most of the guys here I was wearing a tux while the girls were wearing gorgeous dresses that fit perfectly with their masks.