Chapter 2.

"Having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people." - 2 Timothy 3:5

Genesis Williams

{ June 4th, 2014 | 8:29 p.m }

"Well wontcha look at dat! You here a whole minute early, huh?" Aunt Jo's voice chirped from the living room. I sat in the cold, kitchen seat motionless and breathless as I heard the familiar, deep voice laugh and respond.

"Like ya' said...I know how ya' boys are."

Damn it. August actually came.

I pulled out my smartphone from my tote, and began to scroll through countless social media notifications, all of which were the usual likes on Instagram and retweets on Twitter. I sighed, trying to find something to look at on my phone, and avoid having to face or look at August.

I could hear their footsteps descend to the kitchen. I quickly stood to my feet, shoving my phone into my PINK hoodie. I looked around the kitchen to plan a quick and stealthy escape. Maybe I can sneak upstairs. It's better than being down here and seeing..

Him

August appeared from the living room before I could even finish my thoughts, wearing something different than what he had on earlier. His hair was covered by an all black hat, that he wore backwards and slightly covering the shaved sides of his head. He had on a different pair of shades, a black t-shirt and black joggers. I noticed he had a gold grill at the bottom row of his mouth. Well how classy.

"Make ya'self at home, August. Food should be ready shortly." Aunt Jo welcomed, motioning for him to take a seat beside the chair I was sitting in. Just my luck.

I slowly scooted out of the way, watching August walk over to the seat and sit down. I then looked down at my feet, yet out of the corner of my eye I noticed him staring at me intently. I glared over at him, raising my eyebrow.

"Something wrong?" I bluntly asked him, moving closer to the living room and further away from him.

He shook his head, a blank and confused expression painted on his face. "Nah, I just forgot ya' name."

My blood began to boil out of natural instinct and I started to ball my fists up into a tight squeeze.

"Don't even worry about my damn name." He wasn't even supposed to know my name from the start. Now that he doesn't know it anymore is fine with me.

August seemed unphased about what I said, and just chuckled softly to himself. Aunt Jo on the other hand said something.

"Don't be rude, na', princess. He's a guest." Aunt Jo warned as she continued to dig in the pantry.

I rolled my eyes, and left the kitchen, maneuvering my way through the crowded and smelly living room to the stairs. It's worse enough that I have to look at this beautiful bastard for tonight, but for my entire stay here in New Orleans.

Each step I took creaked, showing the old wood's even older age. I'm used to marble spiral stairs, not decade old wood with all sort of dirt and grime laying on it. It looked tacky and unkempt.

I grimaced when I finally approached the top stair. The hallway light was on, and the wallpaper that surfaced the dimly lit hallway's walls was a gross, floral print that was growing brown. There were food or drink marks plastered up and down certain areas of the walls also.

What a abhorrent sight. How can people live in this? How am I going to be able to live in this?

I sighed and went to the room that was next to the bathroom; the room that I was going to be staying in. I haven't saw the room yet, and judging by the rest of the house, I can already feel that it's going to filthy and disgusting too. I opened the door expecting the worst.