Chapter One | ap english

Breathing. Such a simple thing. You breathe in and your lungs expand. You breathe out and they contract. See? It's simple.

But if you look deeper into the procedure of respiration you'll see that it's no simple process after all.

The respiratory system works by inhaling oxygen which then passes through our sinuses where the temperature and humidity levels are regulated. The windpipe which is scientifically referred to as the trachea filters the air which thereafter branches into our bronchial tubes. The two bronchi both lead to the lobes of the lungs which are filled with alveoli. This is where clean oxygen is exchanged with carbon dioxide. The alveolar walls are composed of small blood vessels also known as pulmonary capillaries. The pulmonary artery carries blood containing carbon dioxide to the air sacs where it switches with oxygen. Newly oxygenized blood travels through the pulmonary vein and the heart pumps it throughout your body. The diaphragm is a muscle at the bottom of your lungs and controls breathing.

Still many people stay ignorant to such facts, preferring to stick with the more common belief. The belief that respiration is only
in,
out,
repeat.

"Felicity Scott!"

My head snapped up at the sound of my fairly rude english teacher smugly calling my name. I had been caught in a daze again. you can't really blame me though, Ms.Shaffer is as bland as they come.

"Would you care to share with the class what you've been oh so openly daydreaming about?" She questioned, her arms widely gesturing to my now staring classmates.

I feel my face heat up as I flush with embarrassment due to all the attention, and I hear a few people snicker at my flustered silence. I was at a loss for words so instead of trying to speak in defense and making a fool of myself, I just silently shook my head 'no'.

"Well then." She starts in reply. "Since you don't seem to want to pay attention now you can make up for the lost time after school." At that I heard the rip of paper and a detention slip was placed onto my desk. I could feel even more eyes on me and I kept my gaze locked on the table before me. I was silently praying for relief when my prayers were heard and the bell rang. I swiftly hopped up from my chair and made my way out of the hellhole also referred to as ap english.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

Hey guys it's Amanda and this is the first official chapter to my new story! I'm super excited to officially get it started and I hope you all enjoy it. This is book isn't going to be in the same format as Adelaide, it's going to be an actual full length story. This is the first full length / non-poetry book that I've written so as I go along receiving feedback from you guys would be so amazing! Also updates might take a while because I'm still trying to really get a feel for this story. Thank you all for supporting me and reading, and I really hope you all enjoy it.

-Amanda (: