Chapter Three | no surprise there

I arrived to a dark and unoccupied house per the usual, but despite knowing that my dad wouldn't be home I still called out in hopes that maybe he'd surprise me by leaving work early.

He didn't.

It wasn't unusual for me to be alone in the house. But despite this being the daily routine for us I couldn't help feeling faintly dissapointed. I let out a sigh and dropped my backpack on the polished wood floors. The sound of my footsteps echoed throughout the vacant lot as I leisurely walked to my room. After finally making my way up the flight of stairs I lazily pushed open my door to reveal my familiar bedroom. I grabbed a pullover and some old running shorts before heading into my ensuite bathroom to clean myself up. Following my pleasantly warm shower I went and opened a cabinet and took out the first aid kit I stored in there. I sat down on the floor and got to work properly cleaning off the scrapes on my knees and palms and applying an antibiotic cream.

When I finally completed my task I grasped the counter and pulled myself up from the chilling tile. I pulled my frizzy curls into a ponytail and secured it with an elastic that was on my wrist and shuffled out of my bathroom and tossed myself onto my plush bed. I laid there for what seemed to be an eternity simply reviewing the room that I've been accustomed to for a majority of my seventeen years. Soon enough my eyelids started to droop as the exhausting events of the day had set in and I was eventually eased into a dreamless state.

Well dreamless at first.