Twenty-one

Ashton's POV

I've missed home. Having been gone for two years and making a new life in the states, I never thought just sitting here in my mum's kitchen, chatting about our plans during our stay, would be so refreshing. It's weird because it doesn't feel like home home, but the familiar atmosphere is more than enough to put my mind at ease. Up until now, Emmie and I have been lounging and eating whatever we can find in my mum's kitchen, occasionally dozing off and having to wake the other up so that we'll be able to sleep tonight.

Mum's having a good time sharing stories with Emmie about me as a kid. Like how I used to climb onto the top of the refrigerator and leap off to be caught in her arms. Or how she caught me playing in her bathroom with panty liners stuck all over my body. Let's just say Mum is providing Emmie with some valuable blackmail material. Thank God the photo evidence is lost in storage.

Harry and Lauren didn't return from school by the time Mum drives us to the hotel, which is unfortunate because I would have liked to talk to Lauren about her outburst. I don't know if I should blame her bitterness or the fact she's a teenager for her rude attitude. Maybe it's both. I just hate that she didn't even give Emmie a chance. 'The next Natalie' is complete bullshit. I know I'm not one to talk, but she should be over this by now. She's had plenty of time to get over losing Natalie's friendship and should be able to accept whoever I'm dating. The least she can do is act decent around Emmie. Hopefully I can talk some sense into her while we're here.

"Ash," Mum calls, poking her head out the car window after I pull our luggage from the car. "Relax while you're here. The wedding isn't until next weekend. Enjoy your time here with Emilia until then. Think of it as a mini-vacation for you two. If anything, I'd say you both need it."

A mini-vacation, huh? I've never even thought of this trip as anything but an inevitable shit storm and cluster fuck of emotions. But a vacation...that actually sounds pretty nice.

"I'll keep that in mind," I say, kissing her cheek and promising to visit the house again later this weekend.

Emmie and I haul our luggage through the lobby after Mum drives off. I ignore the grandness of the hotel, focusing solely on the sound of the wheels of my suitcase gliding along the marble tile behind me. Was it really necessary for Elijah to book the most extravagant hotel in Sydney? Sure, he probably has some sort of affiliation with the business and can get a discount, but this is far too much. I guess I shouldn't complain since we're not paying for it but still; it's like he's inadvertently waving his wealth in our faces.

Further inside the lobby, we find our friends seated in the lounge area near the front desk.

"Have you guys checked in?" I ask, pulling my suitcase to a halt.

"We didn't have to," Michael says, offering his seat to Emmie and moving to sit on the armrest. "They said your dad checked us in before we got here."

I didn't think Dad would be staying in the same hotel as us. If I know his as well as I do, he's probably on a different floor than us, soaking it up in a grander suite.

Luke hands me one of the room keys. "There are three rooms with two double beds each," he says. "We figured you two would want to share a room."

"Is that all right with you Em?" Julia asks, her tone obvious to the ear that she's ready to make accommodations if Emmie says no. Julia is still so cautious. I don't think she'll ever break this habit no matter how long I'm with Emmie.

"I don't mind sleeping with Ash," Emmie says, immediately regretting the words as fast as they're spoken. "That came out wrong."

"We know what's on your mind," Calum teases, wiggling his eyebrows. Both Julia and I playfully slap the back of his head. "I'm joking!"