Twenty-eight

Ashton's POV

"They're late," Michael says to no one in particular as he fixes his hair for what seems like the hundredth time.

After my dad woke me and Emmie up this morning to tell us when we'll be going to Elijah's house for dinner, Julia took Emmie out to get their nails done or something. They've been gone most of the day and normally Emmie shoots me texts throughout the day to give me updates on their girly adventures, but I haven't received a single one. I won't say it doesn't worry me because it does, but I know she's in good hands.

"Emmie's not one to be late," Luke says. "I'm more than sure she's dragging Julia back as we speak."

I wouldn't put it past Emmie if she threw a fit for being as late as they are. I check my phone for any new texts from but I find nothing.

"So why are you making us go to this dinner again?" Michael asks, now straightening out the collar of his shirt.

"To thank Elijah for his financial kindness," I say. "And to make things less awkward for me."

Even though it's sort of last minute, everyone agreed to come to dinner with the exception of Calum. He isn't able to come tonight because his family is taking him and his sister to visit his great-grandmother. He offered Julia to go with him, but she felt the need to stay with Emmie tonight.

Michael groans and plops down onto the bed. "Ugh. It's times like these I wish I were an ungrateful ass. I could be Skyping Lola right now if it weren't for this dinner."

"Yeah, it sucks being a grateful ass, doesn't it," I joke, then thank him for giving up his nightly chat with Lola for me.

Lola was fine with it to begin with from what Michael told us. Apparently, she was in a heated game of Yahtzee with her grandmother and talking with Michael would only distract her. So they agreed to take a raincheck. I feel guilty for keeping them from talking, but I'm more than thankful for the sacrifices that they're not obligated to make but do anyway.

Two short knocks on the door pull me out of my thoughts. I open the door hurriedly, my mood lifting tenfold at the thought of finally seeing Emmie, but I grimace when I see my father instead of her.

"Oh, it's just you," I say, displeased.

"I'm never going to get a normal greeting from you, am I?" Dad asks.

"I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you," I say.

"Wasn't thinking of it," he says. "The girls are downstairs waiting for you all. I ran into them when I went down to the lobby and they asked me to bring you guys down. I'd hurry up if I were you; we're already late."

I sigh and tell the guys that we have to leave. We ride the elevator down to the lobby, and my mood instantly perks again when I see Emmie standing with Julia by the revolving door. We're barely able to say hi to each other before Dad rushes us towards the two taxies waiting outside the hotel for us.

Luke, Michael, and Julia take one, while Emmie, my dad, and I take the other. I make sure to sit next to Dad when we climb into the taxi so Emmie doesn't have to. After Dad gives the driver Elijah's address, we take off. It's quiet for a moment. The only sound coming from the light traffic outside and the low volume of the car radio.

"Dad?" I say, staring down at the nude polish on Emmie's nails as she holds my hand in her lap. "Can you keep what you and I talked about the other day a secret?"

He turns his head to look at me, and he pauses for a moment before facing out the window again. "It's not my place to say anything."

"Thank you."