Chapter 4

Connor looks at me with pain in his eyes.

"Connor what the hell happened?" I shout. When he does't respond I let him in and take him to the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I turn on the sink and moisten a towel, then I clean up the blood. We are both sitting on the floor of the bathroom.

"My, my dad." Connor mumbles.

"He did this?" I have to try my best not to scream.

"He was, he was drunk. He came home and just attacked me."

I feel my face getting hot. I never liked that man. He was always so bitter and cruel, but I never expected him to be an alcoholic.

"So why did you come here? Don't you have like friends?"

"You live so close. And, well I missed you. I didn't think of Daria or anyone when it happened, all I thought of was getting to you."

"What does that mean?"

"I don't know."

"How about you make your god damn mind up and stop screwing with my heart." I spit at him. "There is a first aid kit under the sink, you can sleep on the couch, if you need anything text me. I'll talk to Stef about this tomorrow." And with that I get up and leave the boy torn to shreds.

It would be a lie to say I didn't feel absolutely 100% guilty when I left the poor guy on his own. But he left me on my own these past months, so that made me feel less bad about it. On my way upstairs I stopped by my moms room to tell them Connor was gonna sleep at our place today, I didn't elaborate. You could tell they knew something was up but they were too tired to ask.

When I woke up I could hear lots of hassle downstairs. Curiously I got up and looked, I saw two cops and Connor sobbing his eyes out.

"He can't stay with that man anymore." The cop declares.

"Can, can you give him one more chance." Connor cries, I know he only wants to stay with his dad because he is scared what would happen to him if he left.

"Is this the first time this has happened?" The other cop asks.

"Yes." He's lying and I know he is, he used to tell me every time it happened.

"Are you positive you want to give him another chance?"

"Mhm."

"Well, I suppose we could make arrangements where he has to check in with an officer every other day, and so will you. If this ever happens again though, we will have no choice but to remove you from the home."

After the cops leave Stef offers to have Connor stay for dinner and then she could drive him home. A whole day with Connor, my worst fear. 

"Don't I have to like, do chores and stuff today?" I ask.

"Um, yes you did. But it's okay, we can make Jesus do them, you deserve a break." 

Damn it, that failed.

"Okay," I groan and Lena gives me the death glare, she's catching on.

When she leaves it's just me and Connor alone on the couch.

"Well, just do whatever you want, I'll be in my room." I say and leave. About two minutes later Connor comes into my room and sits down on my floor.

"Um, what are you doing?" I bite my lip.

"Whatever I want," he grins.

I can't help but smirk at his stupid joke, but it disappears before he can see it. Connor stares at me while I listen to music for about thirty minutes, I pretend I don't notice but I see him out of the corner of my eye. Occasionally he will look at his phone but for the most part his eyes seem glued to me. When I glare down at him he doesn't try to hide the fact he was staring.

"How's Daria?" I question him.

"Um, she's okay yeah. Kinda annoying lately if I'm honest." 

Hearing him say that brings a huge smile to my face.

"Oh how so?" I ask nonchalantly. 

"Well, like, she always wants to be with me and wants me to take pictures of everything we do and have me kiss her in front of other guys. It feels like she is only in it for the attention." 

It feels just like old times, we are sitting here pouring our hearts out to each other, or at least he is. I don't respond to him though, he knew what Daria was like when he first started dating her, but at the beginning he didn't seem to care. We spend the rest of the day playing video games but only occasionally saying anything to each other. When we do it's only about the game. Connor stays and eats with us and then his dad comes to pick him up, he seems extremely happy to see him and you can tell he regrets it all. Still no excuse.  

I'm nervous to go to school again, are we friends? I don't want him to think he won this battle. What he did was terrible. But maybe I took it too far.