Africa is a Continent

"Guys, what's the capital of Africa? I think I'm going to write about overpopulation and starvation there." Belle's eyebrows were creased in concentration as she pondered over her Geography book. It was quite a sight, actually. Seeing Belle read anything apart from fashion magazines and Instagram quotes.

I raised my eyes from the simulations equations I was trying to understand to see if anyone else realised the fucking stupidity of her question. Lilly seemed to not even have heard her so I drifted my eyes over to Ash. His cheeks were turning pink from trying to hold in the laughter.

Once our eyes met, however, he burst out laughing. I joined him, dropping my head in my hands and shaking it.

"Africa is a fucking continent Belle!" I said between snorts, clutching my side. She had asked more stupid questions in her time, granted. But with the stress of this group study and the impending exams that would determine the rest of my life just two weeks away, I needed a good laugh.

Belle started laughing uneasily at herself. I knew by her laugh that she still didn't understand. "Africa isn't a country – it's like Asia or North America. The countries in them have capitals – like, Nigeria is in Africa. Its capital is Abuja. Comprendé?"

Realisation hit her and she nodded, writing something quickly in her pink and white polka-dotted notebook.

"So you're doing overpopulation in Abuja now, I'm guessing?" Ash moved his amused eyes from me to Belle.

"Well, it's a possibility... I'll decide closer to the exam!" I knew that Belle wouldn't even check if what I told her was correct. Overpopulation in Abuja was going to be her main source of study for our Geography exam, which was two weeks tomorrow. I felt my stomach twist nervously at the thought.

"Now is 'closer to the exam', Belle! Decide now! Do some research and find out how to spell Abuja before you do anything else!" I ordered. I was like a maniac when it came to study. Mom and dad actually had to force me to go to bed most nights for fear I would stay up all night trying to understand photosynthesis or comparative essays.

My life used to be worth living. I swear, I actually was a fun girl – ask anyone. But the thought of not getting my course in Glasgow in Scotland... it made me want to vomit. Teaching was all I'd wanted to do since I was little. And Glasgow had the best course. I didn't have much going for me but I would get into this damned University, even if it killed me.

Ash worried about me a lot, too. I could tell. Whenever I wasn't trying to force Belle and Lilly to study by setting up group study sessions, I was studying. It consumed me. Eating and sleeping were for people who had time. I was seriously going to bring up a national debate on the number of hours in a day – there wasn't enough!

Ash, Lilly and Belle were my best friends. I'd known Ash all of my life – seriously. We were born on the exact same day eighteen long years ago. We'd even had joint birthdays since we were five. We knew each other completely and there wasn't a memory in my life that didn't involve Ash.

Lilly and Belle were late additions to my life. We'd met in secondary school on our first day. The three of us had all been separated from our friends and knew nobody in our first class. The nervousness seemed to draw us together. We all laughed whenever we thought back to that very first day.

Belle, with her braces that meant she couldn't close her mouth all of the way and Lilly, with her frizzy hair that made it impossible for anyone sitting behind her to see the blackboard. And then there was me, with my baby-fat.

Now though, Belle had gotten her braces out and had perfect teeth – along with the rest of her. She was a blonde goddess. Lilly got her hair thinned every few weeks and the frizz had died down eventually over the years. She also invested in a hair straightener – it 'saved her life', according to her.