The Plan

Jake

She will be mine, she will be mine, she will, I chanted to myself as I bench press, Imagine Dragons blasting in my ears. Nick pops his head in, clicking his tounge and shaking his head.

"Dude, you're stress pressing."

"No, I'm simply working off my steam," I grunt, raising the dumbbell over my head. Eli strolls in next, headphones wrapped around his neck. "Nah, bro, you're bench pressing working out a plan to get Haley back."

"Shut up," I spit. "Come at me bro," Eli snickers. Nick doubles over with laughter. I put the weight back on its stand and sit up, whipping the towel from around my neck. "Who wants to get whipped?"

Eli yells and sprints out the door, Nick hot on his heels. I laugh. "Scaredy cats!"

I guzzle some Gatorade, tossing the empty bottle into the trash. Mom walks in, dressed in her yoga outfit. She smiles. "Getting into shape?"

"Yeah," I say lamely, wiping away my sweat before climbing onto the treadmill. Mom rolls out her yoga mat, putting down her phone and water. Her Chinese symphony music begins to play. It's soothing, to me. Even though I'm only half Chinese, I feel right at home in China when we go visit. Like mom's family really is my own, even if I am a "half-breed."

Mom goes into the downward dog, singing a Chinese lullaby. The same lullaby she used to sing to us when we were little and couldn't sleep. I listen intently, even singing myself. Mom looks up and smiles, still singing. I smile back, our voices blending in the air.

Something clatters to the floor. A weight. I turn, only to find no one. But mom simply giggles. "Such a clumsy girl."

Haley. She was watching me sing with my mom. She was watching. Maybe...if I sing to her...then she'll have me back. I know what I have to do. Or not. Nah. Its too sappy. I'd rather just take her, like Oliver did. He just had to open his mouth.

I say goodbye to Mom and pass Dad by his office. Dad's never really around much, but that doesn't mean no one loves him. Mom worships him. "Where's your mother?" he asks. He looks nervous.

"In the gym, why?"

"I need your help. Its our fifteenth anniversary, you see, and I want to make up for the one four years ago. And the ones after that. We didn't get to celebrate because of Gus, you know."

I remember now. I was thirteen when Gus was born. It was their anniversary, but it was interrupted by mom's broken water. And even after that they'd never been able to go out. Gus was too little and we didn't have Lea then.

"Sure. What do I need to do?"

"Keep her busy. I've planned for us to renew our vows in the backyard, by the creek. I've gotten the tuxes for you guys and a dress for Haley. Some family are coming in too. Keep her busy until its finished. Haley is in charge of getting her ready."

I nod. "Okay. You can count on me. I'll just take her to the aquarium. She loves the aqautic animals."

"I know." Dad smiles wistfully. "I actually proposed at the aquarium. That's where we had our first date too. I remember once she told me she loved the American aquatic life. So I took her."

"And the rest is history," I drawl, smirking. Dad chuckles and slaps my back. "Thanks son. Remember the plan."

I nod, continuing on my way. Gus rushes past. "Save me!"

Next comes a playfully angry Haley, her fingers covered in chocolate. "C'mon, Gus, I just wanna plaayy."

"Okay, Chucky, stop it," I scold Haley, scooping Gus up and throwing him over my shoulder. "I am not a sack of potatoes!" Gus protests. I ignore him. "Terrorizing little children are we?"

Haley points at him, eyes narrowed to slits. "He was being naughty and eating from my Mega Secret Chocolate Stash."

"Your Mega Secret Chocolate Stash?" I snort. "Every girl has one," she mumbles, flicking her hair over her shoulder. "Is it for when you're PMSing?"

She throws the finger. I'm glad Gus can only see my back. "You totally are. But here. Gus, apologize for eating Haley's chocolate."

"Sorry for eating your chocolate, Hales," Gus mumbles. Haley smiles. "Ah, s'okay. At least no one can find my Ultra Secret Chocolate Stash."

"It's in your closet in a shoebox with icepacks isn't it?" Her face pales. "No..."

"It totally is. And by the way, my mom found it. She stole a Twix this morning."

"My Twix!" Haley shrieks, face turning all shades of red. I chuckle, setting Gus down so I don't drop him on his head. "Relax, it wasn't a Twix and she never found it." I pause. "I did."

"I. Am. Going. To. Kill. You. Slowly."

I back away, my hands lifted in surrender. "Hey, now, let's not get to excitet, Hale- woah!"

She does some Amazon warrior cry before lunging, tackling me to the ground with surprising force. "I will end you!" she cries, running her hands up and down my torso. I try to twist away, my laughter coming in short bursts. "Haley, stop!"

"Promise me you won't eat my chocolate!"

"I promise!" I yell. She slides off of me, looking triumphant. "Now. I have to go relocate my chocolate."

She saunters off, cautiously watching me over her shoulder. I shoot her a cheeky grin, giving a two-fingered salute. She rolls her eyes, turning away once more. I watch her retreating back, my grin fading.

Mason comes up behind me, not so subtly coughing,"Whipped."

I throw a punch at his back. He laughs, shaking his head, then gesturing to the gym with his head. "Remember. Keep her busy."

"Where are you going?" I ask, eyebrows furrowed. "I'm going to meet Bella."

"Your girlfriend who you have yet to propose to?"

"My anniversary gift to mom is announcing the engagement. I'm proposing in front of everyone tonight at the vow renewal."

I scoff. "Way to steal mom's anniversary spotlight." Mason clicks his tounge and shoots me with two hand guns. "Dad agrees. Mom'll love it. Now go keep her busy!"

I shake my head at him, turning back to the gym. Time to kick this into high gear.

I bet you guys read the title and were like,"Yay! Jakes plan to get Haley back!" But he hasn't thought of one yet. Aka I haven't thought of one yet. ;)

The one shot contest is still going on, don't forget. I'm looking forward to it. And don't forget to check out the poll I posted on my wall on my profile page.

Quote of the Chapter:
"I love you more than pizza."
"OMG, really?"
"LMAO no."

Hahahahahahahah. It's cruel but funny. I am horrible.

~Genesis