Biryani

It took some time but I finally ended my pity party and head out of the bathroom. Everyone was getting ready to head to the reception venue tonight. I ran straight to my room and packed up my stuff. I would leave tonight. I didn't want to spend another second in this fake, narcissistic shit fest Indian people called weddings. Weddings were supposed to be a joyous, love-filled gathering with people who loved and supported you. Over time, they'd just developed into who can do better than the people before them.

I set my suitcase in the corner of the room and took a deep breath to steady my nerves. It was nothing new but it still got me every time. There was a knock on the door. Odd. I walked over and opened it and it was a surprise to see Zinat apaa standing there.

"Hey love, got a minute?"

"Sure," I stepped aside to let her in.

"Yusuf came to me with the premonition that you weren't feeling okay. I just wanted to see what he was blabbering about. You alright?" she gestures to my suitcase in the corner that looked out of place in between all the girls' dresses and makeup lying around.

"Yeah, yeah I just have to leave as soon as I can for work," I tried to keep my voice casual. She nodded with a small smile on her face and gave my arm a small rub.

"Alright, good then. Are you ready? The busses will be leaving soon."

"Yes, let's head out," I nodded and followed her downstairs. There were two coach buses to take the wedding guests to the hall and wedding music was already blaring from each. Zinat apaa took me to the bus her family was sitting in and I sat in a seat Mannat saved for me. She gave me a wide smile and before I could ask why, Ali popped up in the seat behind us.

He was singing the song at the top of his lungs and doing a weird dance in the little space he had. He reached over and took my hands in his, shaking them from side to side. We all laughed at his antics and with a poke to my cheek, he moved on to Safiyana Bhabhi.

I laughed at how miserable she looked and my eyes met Yusuf who was sitting in the seat in front of her.

Yusuf came to me with the premonition that you weren't feeling okay.

He smiled and I smiled back gratefully. Zinat apaa told me what happened after I left the deck. I had a feeling Yusuf had something to do with it. And I couldn't lie to myself when I felt a little sliver of happiness run through me.

It was easy not to feel alone when there was smile like that in the world.

One Month Later

"Inayah!" Safiyana bhabhi opened the door and let me inside. She gave me a hug before letting me inside the empty town home. Cardboard boxes and suitcases lay around the hallway but she led me upstairs. She opened another door to the second floor home and loud screams flooded my ears.

"Quiet down!" She scolded and shook her head. Ayaan bhai and Yusuf were sitting on the only piece of furniture, a cream sofa, and watching football on someone's phone. They both looked over their shoulders and a wide grin broke out on both their faces. Ayaan bhai walked over to me and put one arm around my shoulders. "You look different," he mused.

"I got a haircut," I cracked a smile.

"I like it," he nodded appreciatively. "You staying for dinner?"

"Yes she is," Bhabhi interjected just as the doorbell rang. She left to get it. "Ayaan, bring my purse," she called behind her a second later. He shook his head in amusement and grabbed his wallet out of the jacket on the floor and ran downstairs too.

Yusuf stood up and came around the sofa, leaning on the back. "Nice to see you again. How've you been?"

"Good. You?" my hand came up to my nose to itch it out of a nervous habit.