Chapter 20

Twenty.

A r i a.

“I don’t think so. I don’t even know you.” I stated. There was no way in hell I was going to let some arrogant ass drag me away from here.

“So you don’t believe that I’m Daniel’s brother?” He asked absentmindedly, picking away at the apple he didn’t eat.

I couldn’t stand when people played with their food. It was so disrespectful. I found myself snatching the apple out of his cold hand. He looked at me with an amused smirk.

“I paid for that, you know.” His smirk grew once again into that annoying grin that made my blood boil.

“Where is Daniel?” I asked him through clenched teeth. He was so full of himself.

“He’s at home. He asked me to get you over there with some of your things, and that he’ll explain everything when you get there.”

How was I going to explain to my parents that I was going to be gone for a couple of days? Better yet, how was I going to explain to Rowan? My heart sank a little. She was the only thing that reminded me of the way my life used to be. I would hate to leave now. Why did I have to go anyways?

“Don’t worry. I’ve explained to her also. You won’t be gone for a long time. We have to go now. It’s getting late and we want to leave tonight.”

And with that he stood up and walked out the door, ringing the bell in the process. I turned back to my family. Why did this feel like goodbye?

No. This wasn’t goodbye. I wouldn’t ever let that happen. I walked out the door with tears stinging my eyes. I wouldn’t ever become a monster.

~

A r i a.

Riding in a car with Darren was a…unique experience for me. He muttered to himself once in a while when we would go through a pothole. Didn’t he know he was supposed to drive around those?

He also had a unsettled taste in music. His long fingers would constantly go up to the stereo and fiddle around with the stations. A pile of cds jutted out from the opened glove compartment and there was an ashtray of cigarette butts and ash right behind the gear shift.

His jeep wasn’t old, but rather sounded old because of the abuse it took on the roads with Darren as it’s driver. His long arm stretched across from the steering wheel fumbling the Cds, and in the process of pulling one out, they all came tumbling down.

“Sorry.” He said with a sheepish grin.

We were done from my house and instead of just walking half a block to his house and getting there sooner, we were picking up Dhalia from somewhere nearby. I realized that he had no reason to lie to me about who he was.

I mean, there really was no point for him to lie. It is so obvious that he is a vampire. The cold skin was a dead give-a-way.

He pulled up in front of the library and I spotted Dhalia waving her hands at the car. I was surprised for a moment. What would she need to go to the library for? But I shook my head. There was no use in questioning the strange. Weird was common for them. She beamed at him and then her eyes moved to me, instantly narrowing. What did I ever do to this girl?

Darren stepped out of the jeep and walked over to her. She practically ran and crashed into him. I could hear her crystal voice clear behind the glass of the window.

“Darren! I’m so happy you’re back!” Her grin was from ear to ear, her hazel eyes glistening with her happiness. He must have been gone a long time for her reaction to be this dramatic. As soon as I let the thought out, I heard a hiss from outside.