Chapter 3 - Peace

"The rain is always going to come,
If you're standing with me.
And it's just around the corner, darlin'
'Cause it lives in me.

Would it be enough,
If I could never give you peace?"
- Taylor Swift

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hunter's POV

The roads are unusually quiet for a Friday night, and I do my best not to speed as I drive us away from the party, but it's not easy.

When I think about what that snake might've been planning on doing, what could've happened if I hadn't shown up, I end up gripping the steering wheel so hard that my knuckles turn white.

A tight ball of anger and frustration burns in my chest. This is exactly what I get for going back on my word, for leaving her alone when I promised not to.

When I heard about the school merger at the beginning of the summer, I knew there was going to be trouble. I didn't exactly leave things on the best of terms when I got kicked out of St. John's last year, and there are definitely more than a few people I'm not looking forward to seeing when school starts up next week.

But I guess I just hoped that we could have at least one night - just one damn night - before all hell breaks loose on Monday.

Apparently, that was too much to ask.

When Trevor told me that the other guys needed to talk to me, I knew it had to be something bad. I mean, hell, it's always something bad.

I just didn't expect it to be him.

From the corner of my eye, I look over at Mia. She sits low in the passenger seat, her arms wrapped around herself and her gaze focused out the window.

Just the sight of her is enough to make me force myself into some sort of a calm.

She really does look beautiful tonight. Too beautiful to have had her night end the way it did.

I was so proud of her for deciding to go to that party. I know it wasn't easy to set aside her fears like that, but I also know that when my girl puts her mind to something, nothing can stand in her way.

Regret hits me as I realize that I pretty much just screwed up what should've been a monumental moment for her.

I can only see half of her face now, illuminated by the light from the dim street lamps we drive past. The other half is hidden from me, shadowed by the night sky, but I can still tell she's upset.

I don't blame her.

I know what that looked like. It looked like some guy was talking to her, and like some jealous prick, I couldn't handle it. She must think I lost my fucking mind.

Honestly, she wouldn't be too far off. The only difference is that it wasn't just some guy.

It was Jesse fucking Palmer. And the feeling that shot through me when I saw Mia cornered by him of all people?

He's lucky I didn't break his goddamn jaw.

Hell, maybe I did lose my mind.

I just can't believe he was there. I can't believe he was fucking there.

Like I said, I already knew this school merger thing was going to be trouble. That was a given. But if Palmer's transferring into Northwest? Then this whole thing just got a hell of a lot more complicated.

And trying to explain that to Mia? I have a feeling that's going to be pretty complicated too.

Another glance at her has me easing off the gas pedal even more. The way she's looking, I can already tell this conversation isn't going to be an easy one, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to put it off for as long as possible.