Prologue - Blackness

Capri, Maryland: Five Years Ago

Salt water filled his mouth as Daniel gasped for breath. Over the sound of the boat’s engine and the crashing waves he could hear the girls’ crying, so he knew they were alive. The moon was hidden behind the clouds overhead, and he wiped the water from his eyes, squinting in the darkness.

As Daniel treaded water, he scanned the icy waves for any sign of his brother or the girl he’d seen swimming before the accident. The only thing he could clearly see was the white hull of the boat, smashed on the huge jagged rocks protruding from the water.

“John!” Daniel shouted into the night.

When his brother didn’t answer, Daniel tried shouting again, louder this time. When John didn’t answer, Daniel dove underwater, searching the bay for his brother.

In the pitch-darkness of the water, he thought he saw a shimmer, just a tiny glint of light that caught his eye. He swam after it, hoping it was a bit of starlight breaking through the water and catching on the silver chain John wore around his neck.

Daniel swam after the phantom light until his lungs were about to burst, forcing him to swim up for air. Just as his head broke the surface of the water and he gasped for breath, something hit him. A searing pain sliced through his shoulder, and then everything was blackness.