Epilogue - June of This Year

"Aggie, just come back and talk to us," Thea insisted from behind her, but Aggie refused to turn around and face her sister.

The rocks poked sharply into her feet, but Aggie didn't mind. Most of Anthemusa Bay was surrounded by soft beaches or docks, but at the south end, the coast was lined with cypress trees and jagged rocks up to the cove at the mouth of the bay.

Her sisters Thea and Penn had taken her out tonight "to talk," leaving their other sister, Lexi, behind. Penn kept trying to talk her into going out to the cove, but Aggie refused to go any farther. She liked the way the rocks felt underneath her feet as she stood at the edge of the bay, with the water just lapping up to her ankles, making her skin flutter and tingle.

If this was how things had to be, then this was where she wanted it to happen.

Above her, the moon shone brightly, with only a thin black crescent missing from it. The night felt still, almost eerily so, and Aggie tried to relish the moment, cherishing the tranquillity of the water around her, the stars above her, even the scent of the ocean and the trees.

Out in the bay, between where she stood and the cove, she could see the jagged rocks jutting out from the water, marked off by lighted buoys. It was here in this bay she'd swum five years ago, rescuing a boy she was afraid would get her caught.

In fact, none of her sisters had ever found out about her clandestine trip to Capri. She hadn't met many people, and those she had, she'd tried to make forget her. Still, when the sirens had moved here at Penn's insistence a few weeks ago, she'd made sure to go by the name Arista, so she couldn't trigger any memories.

She'd done all these things to keep herself safe, to keep her small treasons hidden. But in the end, it didn't matter. Penn never found out about her clandestine visit, and here they were anyway.

"Aggie," Penn called to her, and her voice was too sweet, too lyrical.

Every word Penn had spoken to her in the past few months had been dripping with venom. That was how Aggie knew tonight was the night. Penn hadn't been this nice to her since . . . well, since before Aggie could even remember anymore.

"I didn't want to come here, Penn," Aggie said finally.

"You've come this far," Penn said. "Why not go a little farther?"

Aggie heard the splash of water as Penn walked by, going out deeper until the gentle waves were rolling past her. Then Penn turned to face her, and despite all Penn's attempts to look sweet and innocent, Aggie could still the wicked glint in her sister's dark eyes. The moon shimmered on Penn's long raven hair, reminding Aggie of the way the light reflected on the waves.

"Let's go for a swim," Penn said in the same sweet way she had earlier.

"Come on, Aggie," Thea chimed in, but her huskier tones weren't able to fully cover up her unease.

Thea walked out into the edge of the water and stood next to Aggie. She tried to give Aggie a reassuring smile, but it faltered just slightly. Besides that, Aggie knew her well enough that she could see the intention in her sister's eyes.