Chapter 23-Lynn

23

Lynn Kramer

Agent: 53

Mission: Rescue Agent Hood and return him to ACA Headquarters

Location: ACA Headquarters, Quarter 1

Date: September 4th, 2089

Time: 1000

The crisp morning air blows my hair back as the agents in front of me duck into the Flat. Kamal is at my back, and he isn't the fidgety mess that I am. He's been on lots of these missions, probably has dozens of stories to tell. I wish I could say the same.

Like I've been doing since I woke up this morning, I recite the plan over again in my head, sifting through the details. I am one of the smallest and sleekest of the group, so I can understand why I'd be given the sneaking job...if it were Commander Pyle that is. Rap gave it to me...because he's finally come to his senses? Because he's realized that I'm not just a little kid? I hope so.

Fumbling with the bracelet on my wrist, I slide it up and down my arm as we wait. To the untrained eye, it is nothing but a black piece of fabric. But if you look just close enough, you can spot the tiny red circles, indicating each millimeter explosive. With just the click of a button I could blow off an entire room, an entire building maybe. They tell me it's only for emergencies though.

The other agents that have been selected for the mission file into the Flat one by one, accepting the firearm they are handed as they start up the ramp. When it gets to my turn, the commander of this mission (Agent Slivinski) gives me a respectful nod before handing off the weapon and turning to the next person.

It might be obvious that I've never ridden in a Flat before, just from the few moments I spend staring at the surface of the vehicle. It's so small and sleek, I can't imagine it can hold up to thirty people. But technologies have taken a turn for the better, and the more of these they begin to construct, the closer they are to building space shuttles of the same caliber. Then we can launch into space in only months, rather than years.

Kamal gives me a little nudge forward after a few moments and I duck my head and slip into a chair in the back. It's a bit of a struggle fastening my belt over the black, bulletproof vest I've got on, but I manage, and close my eyes while Kamal slides into his own seat next to me.

At this same time yesterday I was in the cafeteria, listening to Rap's announcement of the new rescue mission. I think back to his words.

"Agent Nolan Hood has been captured in the line of duty and has since been under King control. Therefore, after careful consideration, I've selected a number of agents who I see fit to investigate the addressed location," Rap said. His eyes flit to mine before he went on. "If Agent Hood is not identified throughout the premises, the mission will be called off immediately."

The ramp lifts into the locked position just as Agent Slivinski has boarded the Flat and taken position at the front of the room. She is a slender woman, much like me, with short red hair and a look of poise you find so often in birds before flight. Her brown eyes are curt as they pass over all of us.

"Before takeoff, I must inform all of you the correct way to apply your oxygen masks. If you will, reach underneath your seats and open the compartments." We do. It is nothing but a small yellow thing, with a type of suction cup, and a long elastic band stretching across the back.

After quickly describing the correct way to wear the mask, Agent Slivinski asks, "I'm assuming everyone here is already familiar with the plan?"

"Yes ma'am!" Everyone says, though it is muffled through the masks over their faces. I pull on my own, and the obstruction makes me dizzy.