Chapter Five - Pretty in Pink

Chapter Five

                                                                               Pretty in Pink

If my guessing is correct, I’d say I’ve been here for twelve days. Ever since Carol, the old woman, woke me up the first time I’ve been counting the days. If Carol said I’ve been here eight days, which means it has been four days since I spoke to Nicholas, Beth, and Matthew. None of them requested or visited me. I was thrilled to not be visited by them. In fact, I hoped that they had forgotten me entirely. My nights—the only time they’re awake—consisted of sleep mostly. All they had me do was sleep, even during the day. On day twelve I had my first visitor.

A women with long, bouncy blonde hair and thick dark lashes came into the room wearing a long white dress and denim jacket. Her bright blue eyes were filled with excitement the moment she saw me. “Ah!” she proclaimed as she poked me in the face and touched my hair. “This will be fun.”

I slapped her hand away out of reflex. No one touches me. “Who the heck are you?”

She narrowed her eyes and squared her shoulders. “Lacey. I was sent with specific instructions to fix you.”

My expression faltered. Fix me? “What?”

“Beth sent me here to cut your hair and fix your face.”

“Why does she care?” I demanded fiercely.

“It bothers her. She’s terribly sensitive to other people and you’ve been what she’s been complaining about.”

“I refuse.”

She shook her head and laughed. “Refuse? Listen, these people have standards. Everything is precise and formal. You’re not the only human in this house.”

I looked at Lacey, suddenly coming to the realization that she wasn’t human herself. Her quick eyes and her care-free attitude screamed vampire. “What are the other humans doing here?” I questioned, though I was sure of the answer.

“They are here for food, or as assistants or maids. Don’t give me that look, they are treated excellently.”

I scowled. They were practically slaves here. “Have they tried to escape?” It was something I would do if I were a feed bag.

“No.” Her eyes quickly darted to my hair again.

I thought of why they wouldn’t want to leave, what would make them stay without a fight? I was only staying here because I was not only too injured to fight, but also extremely curious as to what they wanted from me. If they wanted to kill me they wouldn’t be sending egg and toast breakfasts, soup and sandwich lunches, or chicken and rice dinners as I healed. They were nursing me back to health. Why? No one has spoken to me but the nurse, Lacey, and Jacky. Other humans came in, slept, and left to do their work. I doubted they knew what I was doing here either.

Lacey, again, touched my hair.

“Stop!” I smacked her hand away.

Her eyes darkened and she gave a hissing sound through her peach lips. “Now you listen here. I was sent to fix you up to their standard, not to battle with white trash. You should be thankful to have someone give you a free makeover. We have to finish before dinner because you’ve been requested for dinner—“

“Oh hell no,” I snapped, balling my hand into a fist.

She scowled at me and slammed her foot down. “Not for dinner. They want you to eat with them.”