Chapter Twenty - Bad Company

Chapter Twenty

Bad Company

I threw the sheet over the bed, watching as it puffed out like a giant white cloud. It draped over the bed and I tucked it in all around. David never washes his sheets, I swear. The smell of fabric softener filled my nose and made my toes curl. The smell of soap has to be the best thing ever. I had even washed his red comforter before tossing it onto the bed. I made the bed and placed several decorative pillows around it until it met my satisfaction. It was just so nice in here. I cleaned up the nightstands, the floor, and even did laundry. It was beautifully normal.

I changed out of my pajamas and into a silk robe that I wasn’t even aware that I had. My hair was behaving much better than it usually was, and that made me happy. My stomach growled and my mouth watered for something cheesy and hot. I was about to head into the kitchen when, suddenly, something moved outside of the bedroom window. I paused, my eyes landing on something dark outside. I moved cautiously towards it, balling my hand into a fist. When I peered outside, a screamed escaped my lips and I stumbled backward. “Gah!” I nearly fell over.

The dark figure got closer, now being lit up by the tiny lamp in the room.

Matthew.

After I got myself together, I stepped forward and opened the window. “What’re you doing here? I thought you said you’d be gone for weeks. It’s only been nine days,” I said with bitterness in my tone.

He ran his fingers through his wild hair and leaned forward. “Just checking on my employee, Miss Garth,” he replied smoothly.

I swallowed and crossed my arms over my chest. “Peeping through my window is a crime, you know. I could have you arrested.”

He smiled and tilted his head to the side. “My apologies. I thought you weren’t alone in the house and thought it best to check.”

“Oh…” I looked around the room nervously. “Well, I am alone. You don’t have to lurk outside.”

In a blink of an eye he stood in front of me, his height towering over me. He stood so close that I could smell his spicy cologne. I stumbled backward to put some distance between us, only to have my leg smack into the bed, causing me to fall over. He grabbed me by my waist, steadying me. “Careful there,” he said as I stood upright.

I grasped the fabric on his chest when I felt myself falling backwards again.

“You’re awfully clumsy tonight, Anna,” he whispered into my ear.

His breath brushed my neck and sent shivers down my spine. “I don’t know what has gotten into me.”

“You’re blushing. It’s rather beautiful.”

I looked up at him with parted lips. “What?”

He ran his fingers over my face, tracing over my heated cheeks. “Beautiful.”

A lump formed in my throat as his skin touched mine. “What’s up with you? You’re actually being in nice.”

“I’m always nice, Anna.” He brushed the hair from my face, his blue-green eyes roaming over my facial features.

I bit my lip when he came closer. He smelled wonderful; it was intoxicating. I gripped tighter to his shirt and looked down and away from his penetrating eyes. I’d always thought they were incredibly intense, but now it seemed like they glowed. I knew I should be stepping away from him. Run, run, run! I thought as his face moved closer to mine. I closed my eyes, my body tingling all the way to my fingertips. The second, the very second his lips touched mine, electricity so intense, so incredible, shot down my body and made my heart flutter in my chest. I immediately gripped the back of his neck and pulled him down to my level. He deepened the kiss, his hands gripping my hair just hard enough.