Chapter Twenty-Nine - Farewell Kisses

Chapter Twenty-Nine Farewell Kisses

The alarm clock buzzed at around nine in the morning, far too early for me to awaken. I was dreaming I was driving fast, with the wind blowing right through my long hair. I remember it was peaceful and the radio was playing my favorite song, Spellbound, by AC/DC. The dream was twisted because at one moment, David sat next to me in the car with a bowl of popcorn and a bright red bowtie. The dream took another twist when I was at the apartment of my ex, Sawyer, and we were playing Go Fish while we ate some cheese. It wasn’t too terrible to be woken up by the alarm clock after all.

“Hey, are you ready?” David’s voice was in my ear as I felt pressure on my shoulder.

Because I’m such a paranoid freak, I threw a wild hit without even meaning to. Maybe I’ve been fighting a bit too much lately?

“Oww!” David groaned, and I heard a thump by the wall.

My eyes flew open and I sat up, only to find David leaning awkwardly against the wall with his hand caressing his jaw. “Oh, crap! I’m sorry.”

He rubbed it a few times and straightened up. “No worries. Now I’ll be a little better knowing no one will dare to wake you up while I’m away.”

I rubbed my tired eyes and threw the covers back, exposing my bare legs and grey cotton underwear. It’s rare I sleep in actual pajamas, especially in the summer. “Do you need ice?” I made my way over to him and tried to look at the area I had hit him.

“Ice might be good.”

Surprisingly, there was just a red mark on his jaw. Just a red mark. I’ve been hit so hard that I’ve lost vision for days, and he has just as red mark. I couldn’t help but question his manliness level as I got him some ice for his red mark. I held the pack of ice to his jaw before searching for a pair of jeans I knew I had thrown across some piece of furniture.

“What time is your flight?” I asked as I pulled on a pair of ripped skinny jeans and one of my favorite things to wear, a purple tank top.

David was zipping up his suitcase as I spoke, already dressed and ready for travel. “Around one? So we should leave soon.”

I threw my hair up into a high ponytail and ran a black eyeliner pencil over my lids before grabbing my combat boots. Don’t judge the boots, they’re incredibly comfortable. I snatched up my leather over-the-shoulder purse and began hauling David’s bags into his tiny car. He followed closely behind and slid on a blue baseball cap he occasionally wore. “I’ll drive so we don’t have to pay for the parking,” I said as I stole the keys from his hand.

“I’m terrified. When was the last time you’ve driven?”

A week ago when I dusted a vampire in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I thought, but didn’t dare say out loud. I climbed into his car and adjusted the seat as he grabbed the final things he needed from the house. He immediately buckled his seatbelt and gripped the door when I started pulling out of the driveway. Thanks for the confidence. “Do you have some gum? I didn’t brush my teeth.” Sadly, this happens often.

He dug through his pocket and pulled out a worn pack of gum and handed me a piece.

“You nervous?” I asked when he tapped his fingers on the door several times.

“I haven’t seen them in a while.”

I was asking about him being nervous with me driving, I didn’t realize he’d be worried about seeing his family. “It’s going to be great.” I glanced over at him briefly with a smile. “They’re going to make your pancakes and, err, give hugs, and take you shopping.”