Chapter Twenty-Seven - Unstoppable

                                                                        Unstoppable

I called Matthew over a week ago to tell him I still planned to work for him and he better have several new targets ready before I see him again. He pretty much told me he knew I was going to continue working for him because the money was too good. Jackass. I spent the rest of the week resting and preparing myself for my biggest jobs yet. I was going to take out as many targets as I could for the next few weeks. If I could make a bunch of money before we move, it’d help our future.

How was I going to tell Matthew, the great and powerful vampire, I’m moving to Virginia with my boyfriend? The answer is simple: I’m not. The tracking curse he has on me will definitely give me away, and I’ll tell him then. Right now I’m going to focus on making money and preparing to leave this place. Besides killing us both, what could Matthew possibly do?

I already rented a car under the name Jane Doe before driving to the mansion. It was pretty hot outside because we were about in mid-summer weather now. Even at night I was sweating. The AC blasted me in the face as I drove with my hair in a rare ponytail and the vents blowing at my neck. My outfit, I knew, was going to be mocked because it would be considered ‘trashy’ in this fancy house. I’m human, it’s hot, and there’s my reason for the short shorts and a tank top, ladies and gentlemen.

I parked the car in the long driveway before walking inside with my boots clacking against the marble floors like they always do. Jacky stood in the foyer to greet me with the same nervous twitch she always has. “Where’s Matthew?” I asked as I walked up to her.

“He and the others are down in the basement working out.”

Like an idiot, I looked around the room as if this wasn’t the right house. Certainly I misheard her, right? “What?”

She smiled at my stupid expression. “They work out every Sunday night. I need to send Bridget and Cameron down incase they’re thirsty…”

I grimaced at that and pushed the image aside. “The basement is where…?”

She began to walk towards the hall near the stairs, her high heels clacking louder than my boots. I always wondered why Jacky worked here because she obviously was a nervous wreck. I knew Matthew brought most everyone here himself, much to my disgust, but Jacky seemed different than them. She was cautious and less zombie-like than the others. She didn’t pretend everything was wonderful and fine. When I get the chance I’ll ask her about it. Now wasn’t the time to launch into a story.

She led me to a simple white door and opened it for me, not coming down herself. “I’ll go get Cameron and Bridget,” she mumbled as I stepped down the stairs to the basement.

The stairs were a light wood and made my steps louder in this small space. I didn’t bother with the railing as I hopped down the stairs like a child would. They led me to another door, just like the one at the top of the stairs. Just as I was about to open it, I heard laughter. It was loud and sounded uncontrollable. Several voices were involved with this burst of laughter, a female and a few males maybe. I could hear Nicholas’ voice faintly through the thick door, followed by laughter I swear came from Matthew. Have I ever heard him actually laugh before?

I opened the door slowly, unsure of what I might walk into.

When I stepped into the room, I again question where I was still in the same house or not. The room was huge and well-lit. The floors were the color of rust and made of some smooth stone so shiny I saw my reflection and obviously not the others’ because they’re vampires. The walls were a solid shade of light grey, with colorful paintings hanging all around and were probably worth thousands. The equipment was far beyond the equipment at my gym. They looked topnotch, complicated, and extremely expensive. I even saw a few flat screens in the corners of the room, all on different channels. The ceiling was even spectacular, with tin ceiling tiles with fine details difficult to see from where I stood. This place was incredible, as much as I hated to admit it.