02.

THE HOWLING.

     02. CHAPTER TWO : all stories are about wolves (n.e)

     She woke up in a strong hold. Her hand following the arm until she clasped a hand, and sighed contently. A small smile pulled at her lips when she inhaled his scent. Something like apples. And she carefully turned around in his arms, and nuzzled her face in his chest. She froze when she felt his heart speed up, and a low laugh vibrate through his chest.

"Never thought of you as a cuddler," Matt said, his hand lazily adjusting around Rowan's waist.

"That's because I'm not," she muttered, his voice muffled by his shirt. Rowan felt him shrug slightly before he tried to move away. Rowan grabbed his shirt and pulled him back. "Where the hell do you think you're going?"

"Well, I planned on brushing my teeth and getting ready for school," Matt told her, amused by her actions. "I have morning breath."

"So do I. And I don't mind it. I've smelt worse."

"Like what?"

"Matt, I grew up with Tyler. I've smelled a lot of things."

Matt wrinkled his nose, and Rowan laughed at his expression. Their moment of peace was ruined when his alarm clock blared, and Rowan groaned.

"Can't we just skip?" she questioned. She moved out of his grip, and sat on the side of the bed where her feet hung down, barely skinning the floor. As she stood, she could feel Matt's eyes rove over her form, and shook her head as she reached for one of his flannels. She was only wearing a tank and a pair of Matt's boxers, and without the cover of blankets, she felt oddly revealed. This is talking about the girl who walked naked around town on a full moon.

When she turned around, Matt was getting out of bed. He grinned at the sight of her in his clothes. Men were possessive like that.

"I'm borrowing this today. Hope you don't mind," Rowan said, gesturing to the shirt. She pulled off the boxers when Matt walked out of the room, going to the bathroom, and slid her jeans from the night before on.

"Are you going to be okay today?" Matt asked, his words slurred together as he began brushing his teeth.

Rowan shrugged, and picked up a spare toothbrush. "I guess. I mean, other than the fact that my brother is not some sort of hybrid, who I'll actually probably have the urge to kill. But it's something else, that I didn't mention last night."

Matt slowed his brushing, and turned to her. "What?"

"Tyler's dead, or well, he died. I mean, basically, he is. And because of that, he's no longer in my pack. Which also means I'm not as strong as I was." She paused between words as she brushed her own teeth, shielding her mouth from Matt's view when she spit. "Now I have no pack."

She rinsed off the toothbrush, and moved aside for Matt to finish. When he did, he turned to her. "What about me―us? Like all of us humans, I mean."

Rowan followed him back into his bedroom, turning her back when he took of his shirt. "It's different with humans. I mean, I have the instinct to protect you guys, and I do think of all of you as family. But pack is different."

Matt nodded absently, though she couldn't see him, and put his own pants on. He straightened his shirt before giving Rowan the okay to turn around. "I get it."

"You do?"

Matt nodded again as he finished tying his shoes, and grabbed his keys. Rowan followed his lead and quickly tied her own converse. "Not really, but yeah."