07.

THE HOWLING.

     07. CHAPTER SEVEN : be careful of the curse that falls on young lovers (n.e)

     "I'm just channeling frustration."

     "Sexual frustration?"

     Elena turned to glare at Rowan, but instead moved toward the small kitchen. "I need coffee," she said.

"So what exactly happened before I got to your house last night?" Rowan asked curiously. She propped herself on top of the counter before jumping up and sitting on top.

"Are you going to tell me what happened before you got to my house last night?" Elena retorted. Rowan opened her mouth before snapping it shut again. Her eyes narrowed.

"Touché."

The occasional sip from Elena, and the thumping of Rowan's feet hitting the cabinets were the only sounds in the room until Rowan spoke up again. "I saw Jeremy packing this morning. What's going on there?"

Elena sighed and glanced up at Rowan before taking another sip of coffee. "IhadDamoncompelhimtoleave." Shaking her head, Rowan tried to replay the one word sentence in her head.

"Leave." Elena nodded. "Until the whole Klaus deal is over?" She nodded again. "Look, I'm entirely against compulsion. You know, team free will and everything ‒" Elena sighed, ready for a lecture. "‒ but I think you did the right thing."

"What?"

"I think you did the right thing. Klaus wasn't going to stop, so, yeah, I think it'd be better Jeremy was safe. I'm not to sure what Bonnie will think ‒"

"Oh my god, Bonnie! She's going to hate me!"

"Yeah, probably."

Elena sighed as Rowan shrugged, and she took another gulp of her coffee. "Are you going to school?" Elena asked, placing her empty mug into the small sink.

Rowan shook her head. "I'm not sure yet. Maybe." Elena nodded curtly before grabbing her bag and sending a fleeting wave to Rowan as she left. Sighing, the Lockwood girl hopped from her spot on the counter, proceeding to wrap her hands in an Ace bandage, and tightening the shoelaces on her feet.

     The honk of her own horn made her jump, and Rowan sat up, her head hitting the head rest behind her. The school mascot, a painting of a giant wolf head, stared at her, and Rowan blinked. School was not the most important thing on her itinerary. The most important was staying alive, and at this point, that probably wasn't a major priority. But she was there for Caroline. That is until she saw said blonde talk to her brother, and then go back to her car.

Sighing, Rowan wrenched the door open, ignoring all of her peers as she walked through the lot, until she reached the designated black car.

"Wha ‒" Caroline started when Rowan slid into the passenger seat.

"Drive. I don't want to be here. You don't want to be here. And I don't want my friend to be alone on her birthday," Rowan said as she stared ahead.

Caroline smiled a little and turned the keys in the ignition. She put in reverse, and drove them out of the lot, the giant painting of a wolf behind them.

"So what happened with you? Elena told me you staying at her house." Caroline glanced at Rowan, who shrugged.

"I had a small breakdown. Family drama, but I'm better now." Rowan smiled.